TechSpot

External hard drive

1. My External hard drive wont open without format I try doing format it gets stuck I try opening computer > mange > disk management it wont open unless I take it out and gets stuck and gives me connecting to virtual disk service
    please please help me! im freaking out I need this hard drive to work I need help :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,977   +1,487

If you need this drive because there is data on it, formatting is the last thing you want to do.
  3. MohammedBlaze

MohammedBlaze TS Rookie Topic Starter

I just need it working it dosnt have alot of files on it just need it to work
  4. Frozwire

Frozwire TS Member Posts: 62

You can try to remove the hard drive out of the enclosure and connect it directly to an internal SATA port on your PC or put it to another SATA/USB adapter/enclosure to find out if your drive is still usable.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,946   +900

I am kind of confused as to what the situation is here though. Did the external drive just suddenly stop working?
  6. alio matt

alio matt TS Rookie Posts: 16

That sounds alot like a problem I had with my toshiba canvio 1tb portable hdd. I fixed it by using one of the partitioning tools [not gparted] in puppy precise 5.7.1 in live cd mode.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.