External HD, ChkDsk, WinXP, Vista & Win7; a pattern emerges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I seem to bring my External harddrive to an fro with computers, like a friends, or one that I'm fixing, When I try to copy info to the harddrive or utilize info from the harddrive, it always freezes.

WD Mybook 320GB

The first time it happened when I brought my EHD to my friends on his laptop, Vista, we tried watching some movies, it froze, then when I tried to pull the movie onto his lap it froze during transfers, I had to pull the plug, or turn the computer off, then when it came back on it would say disk corrupted. Nothing worked

So then I brought it home to my XP puter (basic TS-ing) it did the same thing, disk correupted, so I turned off the comptuer and turned back on, plugged the HD back in, then it goes through this chck disk process, and it fixed it.

I brought my HD to my friends place again, same friend, same issue, with utilizing data from the external, I brought back home to my XP it fixed it, and from time to time it worked on my WIn 7 laptop, then..

I tried copying a large file onto the Ex, it froze during the copy, then I unpluged, replugged it in, it asks if it wants to scan and fix bad sectors and try to recover, it freezes.

I connect it back to win XP computer same process. Fixed..

Could there possibily be something wrong with the harddrive or maybe with Vista and 7?

Yes, possibly one or the other or both. May I ask why you keep unplugging the external hard drive while the laptop or computer is still on or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

well yeah I am plugging and unplugging the usb to switch from lap to comp, because sometimes I have data on my lap that I need to put on my personal and vice versa, but what did you mean it can be either , or , or both.? Could you be more specific please?
: )

well yeah I am plugging and unplugging the usb to switch from lap to comp, because sometimes I have data on my lap that I need to put on my personal and vice versa, but what did you mean it can be either , or , or both.? Could you be more specific please?
: )

Your first using the "safely remove hardware" function to unmount the hard drive arent you?

If not, your possibly interupting the hard drive during data transfer, which its not going to like.

well I'm not pulling it out during the data transfer, moreover, when I get file from lap to ex, then i pull it out and put it pc, then xfer.

But it freeze when I move data someitmes from ex to lap, usually on vista or 7 os, and then the hole thing gets corrupt and I have to run the ex on my XP comp so it does chckdisk and brings up recovery orphaned files, and then it works.

Try using the option I advised above, and then connecting it to your PC and then try and transfer a file and see what happens.

I had a similar problem with one of my 500GB Hatachi external disks because I wasnt using safely remove hardware option. Its worth a try. :)

Try using the option I advised above, and then connecting it to your PC and then try and transfer a file and see what happens.

I had a similar problem with one of my 500GB Hatachi external disks because I wasnt using safely remove hardware option. Its worth a try. :)

Absolutely agree! :grinthumb

A couple other things i'd also note (that may or may not apply but i think is good note)
See [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]
See [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back