External HD Power Supply was kicked

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all thank you for viewing this topic as the data on this hard drive is extremely sentimental.

Some of my greatest memories (such as my wedding), are on this hard drive, so I appreciate ANY help you can give me.

I have a 1.5 TB Seagate Expansion External Drive ST315005EXA101-RK, yesterday my foot decided to accidentally kick the power supply and a noticed a few minutes later windows was giving me the following error message:

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\$MFT. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection."

At first I didn't think much of it. I viewed the drive and all the contents were shown but no videos were playing. I thought it was a codec issue at first because I just recently nuked my computer. Most files don't open on the drive. The thumbnails for the pictures were still showing, some pictures I could still open, some text files were intact. Later on I made a small text file, wrote something in it, and saved it to the drive to see if I could still write, and it saved properly. I have never restarted my computer as I've read it may not allow me to see the drive anymore. I tried copying the files but windows gives me the "Cannot read from source file or disk." error. After a little while I opened up some pictures (possibly not the same ones) and only 20% of the picture I opened would be showing, the rest greyed out. After I went to sleep the thumbnails don't work.

SHORT VERSION and WHAT I'VE DONE:

Running XP

Kicked external power supply (1.5 TB Seagate Expansion External Drive ST315005EXA101-RK)
Error: "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\$mft"
Can still see filenames on hard drive.
Cannot open most files, even text files.
Some files do open.
Pictures displaying only 20%
Can create and save a txt file.
Slept
Picture thumbnails gone.
Pictures don't work.

Actions Taken:

PC Inspector doesn't detect my F Drive
Recuva Detects the Drive but says "The process cannot open the file because another process has locked a portion of the file."
Panda Recovery DOES detect my drive but has the error message "failed to open selected disk drive"

Questions:

I read that enabling disk cache may cause this problem. But I believe this is different as I kicked the power supply. Do I risk losing any information by turning this off to see if that works?

Should I restart my CPU? Do I risk anything by NOT restarting the computer? The hard drive has begun to click a little bit sometimes and like I said pictures are now no longer viewable. Does it make sense that if I don't restart it could harm the drive or no?

If anybody has ANY idea on what I can do PLEASE post.

CPU:

XP Home 2002
Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.33GHz
2.50 GB of RAM

SATA to IDE via USB , jumper setting

I have a SATA to IDE connection from an external hard drive to my computer. The computer does not recognizing the hard drive. I need to know what jumper setting I should use on the hard drive. eg. master, slave , cable select?

thanks

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back