External HDD Not Initializing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! I got a new SimpleTech 1Tb Duo Pro external drive and I'm trying to connect it with no avail. I've tried a couple of things (and many searches), but I'm not super savvy on the computer.....

The drive is being recognized and does show up in the Device Manager and under Computer Management. However, I'm not able to Initialize the drive. Whenever I try to Initialize, I get an Error telling me to Restart.

I have connected the drive to my laptop, but I get the same problem. My desktop is running Windows XP Home and laptop is Vista.

Is this a "me" problem or a drive problem?

Any help is SUPER appreciated!

From what I understood, I will be able to format only after the drive is initialized...

The drive shows up in the Computer Management screen under Storage>Disk Management...as Disk 1....It says "unknown" and "not initialized".

Am I missing a step?

Thanks for the quick response!

The drive is being recognized and does show up in the Device Manager and under Computer Management. However, I'm not able to Initialize the drive. Whenever I try to Initialize, I get an Error telling me to Restart.

Have an exact error message?

"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the system event log for more information on the error. Close the disk management console, then restart disk management or restart the computer."

The Event Log says:
Unspecified error (80004005).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at ttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

AND

Unhandled exception, exception code=6BE.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at ttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Thanks! That is exactly what's happening to me. Looks like it isn't my fault!!!!! I really appreciate the help!

:) No problem.

It's a shame that the final conclusion drawn in that thread points to hardware failure. Hopefully, though, if it's brand new, it's covered under some form of a 30 day/DOA warranty by the seller.

He meant CMOS. He wanted you to enter your BIOS setup upon powering on the machine and make sure the drive is detected there. Pretty much a waste of time in my opinion if Windows detects the drive.

Replace the drive and if the issue still remains, you've got your work cut out for you :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back