TechSpot

External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

By Starky
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. My iOmega 1 TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged. I googled the problem & found the exact thread here for my problem.
    When plugged in, instead of being identified by it's name as before it's listed as Local disc (F).First I tried disabling write caching, to no avail so...
    I followed the instructions I found here to the same problem started by fish778 in Aug 2011, Mark56 replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn't solved. I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows & ran both Short & Long tests which both failed.
    The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB & my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic, Service Pk 1.
    The HDD has much loved photo's of my kids & tons of video & music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case.

Any help would be very much appreciated, I think maybe if possible to get any data now, I would have to take it to proffessionals but don't want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken.

Thanx so much if u can help @ all :)
  2. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
    Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
    Hope this helps. :)
  3. Starky

Starky TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx for the help.
    F: Drive is only there when external HDD is plugged in to laptop.
    I'm going to download SP2 now, I need it!:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.