External laptop mice continually malfunction

About three years ago, I purchased an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC and it has served me very well with little problems. I am not fond of using the laptop mouse because I consider it bothersome. I much prefer external mice.

One problem I continue to have, however, is that when I buy a laptop mouse, within a few months, it ceases to connect. At first I thought it was because I bought a cheap mouse. I bought a better one and it worked great at first. But yet again, within two to three months, the mouse stopped connecting. It would turn on and off, like it was being unplugged.

This has happened with the last 4 external mice and I really don't know why. I've tried looking up answers online, but nothing I do seems to work. Could anyone give me some advice on how to fix this? I'm at my wit's end!

the mouse stopped connecting. It would turn on and off, like it was being unplugged.
1. Just to clarify, are these problems all with wireless mice? Or does the problem also happen with a wired USB mouse?

2. I don't know if this might be related to the problem, but try this to see if it makes any difference
> Open Device Manager (rt click My Computer->Manage->Device Manager)
> For each Root Hub under USB Controllers, rt click Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn device off to save power, click OK

1. Just to clarify, are these problems all with wireless mice? Or does the problem also happen with a wired USB mouse?

2. I don't know if this might be related to the problem, but try this to see if it makes any difference
> Open Device Manager (rt click My Computer->Manage->Device Manager)
> For each Root Hub under USB Controllers, rt click Power Management tab and uncheck Allow the computer to turn device off to save power, click OK

I tried what you suggested and the mouse still wouldn't work. This is a wired mouse. One error message that keeps popping up is that Windows can't recognize the driver needed.

Back