External USB Harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have this external USB hard disk which I am using for over 2 years now. It was working fine and kept properly. Now when I plug-in the hard disk (thrg USB cable) the green light on hard disk appears but my laptop is not recognizing the disk at all. I tried all standard ways and also went thrgs some other posts but nothing helps. Also, I dont see any entry in removable storage under computer management and neither I see any entry in safe removal option for USB.

How do I get my drive back? I am using win xp home and professional (on two different laptops)

They don't last as long as internal drives... It may just be bad. Have you tried formatting it?

It may have gone bad. Or there are a number of other reasons it won't work

you might find it helpful going through these various posts on the topic
See [post=744411]USB Device Problems? Check for Windows Updates[/post]
See [post=720762]Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive[/post]
See [post=720763]How to Fix a Drive Letter that Doesn't Appear[/post]
See [post=720766]How to boot and test with a G-Parted-Live-CD[/post]
See [post=727106]How to use the DriveCleanupTool[/post]
See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]
See [post=752196]How to Check Hardware / Connection Issues with your USB Device[/post]
See [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]
See [post=752516]How to Check USB Device and USB Hub Power Issues and Limitations[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back