Extra Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Fuller

i have a hp pavilliion with windows vista and there are extra icon of what look like windows internet explorer folders on the desktop. they appeared about a month ago and i did a system restore and it didn't help. i booted up in the safe mode and they are not there in the safe mode. i also did a clean boot to see if there was a program running that caused the problem but when i rebooted the Load Startup Items checkbox has a blue square in it and on the services tab the hide all Microsoft services is unchecked and only some of the services are unchecked and there is an enable all and a disalble all button. Also, I get no prompt to restart when I make changes in msconfig and must restart on my own. I don't think it is a virus because I've already ran a virus scan.

Uh...
I should ask, have you even tried deleting them?!
Secondly,
I'm not entirely sure of what you want to do.

Yes I have tried deleting them and emptying the recycle bin and then rebooting but they reappear on bootup. They do not appear when booted up in the safe mode but they reappear in the normal mode.

Okay... if you right click it and check properties, what does it call the file? Is it a shortcut? Files should not be regnerating themselves, maybe you should check in with the Malware Removal section. If it is a shortcut, I doubt it could do that... Do you know what programs are affliated with the icon? Try uninstalling the program first, if it doesn't work use an uninstaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back