Extra power options for closing lid of laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluemouse

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get extra power options for XP?

The default is, when you close the lid, you can either choose to "standby" or "do nothing". Does anyone know if it's possible to set it to do different things depending on if the laptop is plugged in or running off battery?

Thanks!

That doesn't help. I was looking for individual profiles for the advanced tab, depending on if my laptop is plugged in or not. I don't want to switch profiles manually, I was looking to have it switch depending on AC or battery power.

Why? Just setup all the options in your profile like: Power Options and lid > Lid close action - On battery: Sleep - Plugged in: Do nothing

The "closed lid" option is under advanced. There is nothing for battery vs AC in there.

You only get those options for monitor/Hard drive off times.

The options for AC vs battery power only apply to Monitor and HDD off times. not what closing the lid does. Unfortunately. THat's what I'm looking to tweak.

What is it you want the laptop to do when it's closed? If you look at the Power Schemes tab, you have settings for:
Turn off monitor
Turn off hard-disks
System Standby

Each setting is individual and there are separate settings for AC vs Battery. If you want to reconfigure the power settings, click on Delete to remove the current settings. Then set the new ones- followed by click on Save As.

Right...I want to have it:

1) Standby when the lid closes when running off battery
2) Do nothing when the lid closes when AC

Switching profiles is something I would have to do manually, isn't it?

#1: I doubt this can be set. Technically, if the battery goes dead, you will lose open documents.
#2: Power Schemes tab: Set System Standby to "Never." Disable Hibernate,

1) Uuh...that's already one of the options, you can choose to happen when the lid closes.
2) Yes, I know.

I was looking for a way to have a combination of both without having to explicitly tell it what to do each time I unplug/replug in the laptop.

Again....

When the laptop is running off battery, I want the laptop to go into standby when the lid closes, and when the laptop is plugged in, it means that it's on a desk, so I don't need the computer to standby.

How would I get this functionality without having to manually change the lid close action drop down each time ?

Consider the possibility that what you want to do is not an option. You are wanting to rig the power setting-
It appears that you are wanting to leave work in progress and have it remain available to you in either power configuration. You request is somewhat vague so I'm not able to find any logical 'workaround.'

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I've done it before though (on my old toshiba), but maybe it was through their own extra drivers or something?

I just want to have the OS remain running (and providing power through the USB ports) when it's plugged in (i.e. to charge my phone at night) without having the screen turn off. That would mean that I would set it to "do nothing" when the lid closes.

However, I also want it to go into standby when the lid closes and the laptop is not plugged in, since generally that means I will be moving from place to place and walking around with it, meaning that it's not a great idea to have the disk spinning.

And I was looking to do all this without having to go into the power options every time I want to change the functionality.

Now you tell us what you want to do! That is so helpful when we know what it is you are trying to accomplish.

How about setting the hard drive to 'never' shut off. Would that allow the USB ports to be active?

But keep in mind that Standby is a lower power function, so I don't know if using that would allow the ports to be active.

Yeah, usb doesn't function in standby, which is why I want the laptop to never shut off when I shut the lid, as long as it's running on AC power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back