By Tremor
Jun 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. First of all my specs:
    Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Memory 8GB , Corsair
    GeForce 9800 GT
    Windows 7 x64

I've had my computer for a couple years. I built it myself. I've had no "major" issues until this. I am a gamer and have never had issues running any game with my current system. Now all of a sudden I go from playing something like World of Warcraft 30-60 fps (ranging from idle to 25 man raiding) with moderate to high graphics settings. Now my fps is dropping to 5 fps with lowest settings and while just standing around. This isn't constant, its intermittent. So I can't tell exactly what the issue it. I recently did a reformat of my Hard Drive so everything is fresh. The problem started shortly after doing this. All drivers are up to day as well.

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

3. Tremor

Tremor TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried this twice just to make sure. Each time it didn't work. As far as I can tell all drivers are up to date. Although after doing this the problem didn't seem to last as long. It lasts for roughly 30 seconds to a minute. Then it will be fine for about a minute.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

I notice that I get very bad lag spikes in Planetside 2 (MMOFPS) when something is installing in the background (quietly without me noticing). I press CTRL+D and I see my desktop icons refreshing, which means something was installing. Not sure if WoW is a HDD dependent game, but that may be the issue. Reformatting should have cured it though. I think you need to replace the card buddy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.