Extremely high CPU usage

By ChrisCam
Jun 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My CPU usage is constantly really high, even when I'm doing nothing demanding. Furthermore, it's erratic; for example, where I began typing in this thread, my CPU was at 97% and then all of a sudden drop down to 10% and then back up to 90% etc. I even ran it in safe mode - where it was barley running any processes - and it was going up to 98%. (I'd post a link but I haven't accumulated 5 posts)

Thank you.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,683   +153

What make and model laptop is this? What version of Windows are you running?
  3. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Model: Dell Inspiron 1545

Windows Vista Home Premium
  4. Tmagic650

Okay, it is time to run antivirus scans and other malware tests. What antivirus program do you have installed? Is it updating and running correctly?
  5. ChrisCam

I've ran Spybot normally and in Safe Mode.

I've also ran AVG normally, Safe Mode it done the scan and then I think it just closed itself without any options (was in Command mode or something).

I've ran Ad-Aware normally and in Safe Mode, but only a Smart Scan.

I've done a Disk Defrag and been using Registry Cleaners if that makes a difference?
  6. Tmagic650

Leave AVG and delete/uninstall all other cleaners. Download Superantispyware free and install and run it. Tell us if it finds anything. Defrag is not going to affect this problem so its okay to run it once in a while
  7. ChrisCam

Uninstalled all the stuff you said and installed SuperAntiSpyware; should I do a full scan or quick scan?

Edit: Doing a quick scan. If you think I need to do a full scan I'll do one after.
  8. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

It isn't System Idle processes that has a high percentage is it?
    Can you check what's usually taking up your CPU cycles?
  9. ChrisCam

@Tmagic Thank you for recommending Superantispyware, got rid of A LOT of malware and adware.
  10. ChrisCam

@hellokitty Google Chrome and Tea Timer are taking up the most.

But I'm not sure if that's the reason (in safe mode): http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae307/chris-69/WTF.jpg

Barley anything is running and it shot up to 98%.

Edit: At the moment I'm watching a video and it's at 50-60%. It goes up to about 75%-80% when I'm in full screen. Is that fine? It may have got better?

Edit: Idle it's between 5%-10%; it used to be doing nothing (idle) and rocket up to 50%+. Maybe the removal of the 500 adware sorted it?

[double post so I could post link]
  11. Tmagic650

Yeah, I think you'll be okay now... At least the CPU is not running full time at 100%

12. ChrisCam

Thank you for your help :)
  13. Tmagic650

You are very welcome

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.