Extremely important. Programs not running

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcylouise93

I know I have already posted this thread but I really need your help. This is urgent because my mum needs to use software.

So I did system recovery which was the BIGGEST mistake of my life! when I was supposed to do system restore. OK!...I got confused between the two because im hopeless with computers and all that stuff.... but anyway all my programs a stuffed up! My mum really needs microsoft office (it has microsoft word on it etc etc). It has the microsoft word icon on my desktop but everytime I double click it its says:

"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

When I put the disk in for microsoft office 2000 so I can install it again, the installation bar gets about half way on the first disk then stops and says:

"Error 1305. Error reading from file:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAPI>DLL. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

It also says something similar when I try to install my printer software. On yahoo answers someone suggested going to my computer...c drive...program files....then deleting the microsoft office file. But that didnt work!

It also is not on add or remove programs and I have gone to the add/remove windows componants.

I have downloaded a recover file software but microsoft office hasnt come up on the list.

I am on windows XP and I have done that chkdsk thingo and I didnt even know what that did to help. Someone told me to do it. And please dont suggest dowloading open office.

PLEASE PLEASE help me! You will be my savior!

Also since im pretty dumb with computers i need step by step instructions.

Much appreciated in advance

Check to see if your CD is scratched. If so, buff it with a avery soft cloth in a circular motion around the CD. Don't over do it.
How old is the hard drive? It may be worn out as Windows 2000 was 7 years ago.
Give us the date code off the hard drive, the model numbers off the motherboard.
Once Windows XP is installed, you can Install Word from the Works disk set.
Install Word by being sure the disk is clean and not badly scratched, then inserting after Windows is installed, and all the updates are downloaded from Windows Updates.

someone suggested going to my computer...c drive...program files....then deleting the microsoft office file. But that didnt work!
I think they must have meant uninstalling

Anyway, I'd say Office is either corrupt now or missing
Do you actually have the Office CD? Or was it suppose to be with the image

kimsland said:
I think they must have meant uninstalling

Anyway, I'd say Office is either corrupt now or missing
Do you actually have the Office CD? Or was it suppose to be with the image

Yes we have the whole full four discs and the CD isnt scratched at all. I have 256mb memory, 3200+ processor and 80gb hardrive but we got more put in it. i know our computer is a dinosaur (as someone put it) but thats all we need lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back