TechSpot

Extremely weird video card issue (ATI Radeon X800)

By suzumebachi
Oct 13, 2007
  1. I'm having a really bizarre problem. I'm not sure which forum to post in, because I'm not even sure where the root of the problem really is. But I guess I'll start here. I've been having problems with one of my computers for a couple of weeks now. I put it together out of some spare parts to be used for photography purposes (ie: scanning, editing). It works fine except for an extremely weird problem with the video card. For one thing, it appears exactly 8 times in the device manager and in system information; even after a fresh format and reinstall of Windows. But the worst part is this: if I attempt to install the manufacturer drivers (ATI Catalyst) the computer will blue screen on bootup until I do a system restore. As a result, I'm pretty much stuck with generic Windows display drivers, which are extremely slow. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. I don't know if it's the video card, or the motherboard, or the drivers. All of them have worked fine in the past. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Chaintech VNF3-250
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    Memory: 1GB Corsair DDR400
    Video: ATI Radeon X800 AGP

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

Tried updating the motherboard's chipset drivers? Download and install then from here. See if that fixes the problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.