TechSpot

Exxon does it again...

By jobeard
Apr 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In the story posted on RT.COM, Mayflower, Arkansas apparently looks like a scene from "the walking dead".

Oil has been spilled into the streets of Mayflower - - akin to the Alaska Valdez incident.

The HuffingtonPost also has a video on the problem.

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,284   +2,046

At ~$93 a barrel, I'd have put down the camera and started filling drums.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,531   +332

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

It has reached the lake. It is so ridiculous. This is the 2nd oil spill this month.

5. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 6,531   +332

Maybe America will wake up & go electric or solar.

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Electric is garbage. I am an environmentally friendly guy, but Electric is not the way to go. I feel Hydrogen is the future. I didnt think this until a few days ago when I read an article about how Virginia Tech was able to create Hydrogen from any plant. I feel like by 2020 we will be able to harness Hydrogen efficiently and cheaply.

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 9,095   +592

However, remember the Hindenburg! The Stanley Steamer was feared for boiler explosions and that was trivial energy release compared to stored hydrogen.

8. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 871   +223

Until batteries can store at least 10x the amount of energy for their current size/weight electric cars are not a practical replacement for petrolium powered cars. I don't see that happening any time soon so I agree I think hydrogen is our closest replacement.

As for the oil spill... this is crap, and Exxon is crap. My uncle was a commercial fisherman in Alaska during the Valdez incident and they were supposed to compensate those affected in the local area which didn't happen. I hope this company goes bankrupt and goes soon.

9. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

I think we are on a path towards alternative fuels but at the moment it's not viable cost-wise even with the government subsidizing various efforts (which cause more problems than it solves, sometimes). Also the population density is a lot different here in the US than a lot of the world. Because of the way we developed we drive a lot longer distances. Also we have this bad habit of heating our entire houses and not just the rooms we use.

10. stonarda

stonarda TS Enthusiast Posts: 141   +18

New batteries have been invented that are around 2000x more powerful than current day ones... here comes tha ge of electric cars! :)