F2 key on keyboard will not work! (No, it's not simple)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovvn.you

Hi everyone.

So a client brought me their lenovo y510 laptop a few days ago. Hard drive password protected and bios password protected. Called Lenovo, they basically wanted to replace the security chip and the hard drive and reimage a vista. (Sounded like $500ish, so I said screw that)

Used every attempt I could to crack the bios. No show. Accidentally cleared the cmos, so now when it boots up, it says
"CMOS Date/Time Not Set" F2 to Run Setup
F1 to load default values.

I replaced the hard drive and had it all running fine with a fresh copy of Windows 7, but the error remained and we couldn't get into bios. Basically, she had to hit F1 and hit enter 3 times(invalid password), then "Press F2 to continue"

She brought the laptop back to me today saying the F2 button no longer works. I tried an external keyboard. F1 works on both keyboards as well as everything else. F2 however does not. Will NOT try to get into BIOS. Will NOT continue after failed passwords.

Anyone with ideas? Neither I, nor the client can afford to put any more money into this laptop. It's been $300 already.

Thanks in advance.
Regards, Brian.

Replace the keyboard... $23.. or a least remove the existing keyboard and re-seat the ribbon cable, then blow it out with difluoroethane gas... before reinstalling.

But it sounds as if that unit has other problems... Did she spill something into it? or have somebody else meddle with it?

No sir. I don't see how replacing the keyboard would help. An external keyboard doesn't work either. Everything except F2...

Oh and on the Lenovo y510 series, Fn + F2 is to change to external display, so that works. The key seems perfectly fine. Just computer won't let me F2...

First time in 3 years as a tech I've ever seen this.

Replacing keyboard works if it is a key, keyboard, or keyboard cable issue...
And you don't know if the key is fine if it doesn't work.
We see many defective and quite new laptop keyboards every week in our shops. Look new. Don't work properly.

Hod do you determine that "the computer will not let me use F2" ?

The only other solution, it seems to me, would be to install a new hard drive, and then download all new drivers... to make a comparison.

With or without the hard drive in, the result is the same. F2 Key will not allow for bios entry or allow "Press F2 to continue"...
EVEN on an EXTERNAL USB Keyboard. (Yes, the F1 on the external keyboard works as well as everything else)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back