TechSpot

Facebook and Google wanted to acquire Twitter, at $10 billion

By Emil
Feb 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Both Facebook and Google wanted to acquire Twitter sometime last year and even held talks with the social network. Naturally, all three companies have declined to comment on this news. While acquisition propositions for early successful companies are perfectly normal in the technology industry, it is quite shocking to learn that the service was valued by these and other companies at anywhere between $8 billion and $10 billion. This is all according to sources quoted by The Wall Street Journal:

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

I always thought Twitter was going to be a flash in the pan deal. I mean what's the point of another social network app - especially when it's functionality is absolutely bare bones basic. You can only type 168 characters or something like that. On the surface seemed like instant failure.

That is until all the movie stars, professional athletes and media people got a hold of it to self-promote themselves. That's the only people I know using it. :p

3. emzdhr

emzdhr TS Rookie

yeah.. you are absolutely 100percent right..
    and I really don't know why is it just 168 characters..!?? why not 200, or maybe a thousand?
    anyway.. I could use a 10billion..

4. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Definitely, Tom. Not being a user myself, I have the sense that people either simultaneously update their status via twitter and facebook together, or use twitter to follow their favorite celebrities and personalities.

5. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

I think the simplicity of the twitter is what really won people over, personally i don't understand what all the hypes about, as i am not one of those "people familiar with the matter"

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 803   +9

I agree that facebook is for keeping up with friends and family while twitter is more for keeping up with your favorite celebs. I got a twitter account two years ago...I haven't used it in 1 year and 11 months, lol. Every time I heard something about twitter I'd think "I need to check on my account"...and then I never would. I guess that makes me an ex-twit :p

7. Facebook is for people you know. Twitter is for people whom you wish you knew. That's the main difference.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.