TechSpot

Facebook bans 'social suicide' app Social Roulette

By Shawn Knight
May 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has blocked an app that offered users a one in six chance of deleting their entire account. Known as Social Roulette, the app was designed to mimic Russian Roulette where a single bullet is loaded into the cylinder of...

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,453   +565

What a silly app. When I disabled my account I made sure to use a fully-loaded extended clip. "Click" was the last thing I wanted to hear.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

Silly is right... sounds like some bored devs got drunk one night and didn't have anyone sober around to tell them how dumb this idea was.

Regardless, I'll bet FB put a stop to it mostly because they didn't want to deal with the customer support issue of people wanting their profiles restored after they found the hard way that this app really worked.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,035   +914

That is so stupid lol.

TheDreams likes this.
  5. That's funny. Nothing wrong with the app in my opinion, but it would be as stupid to play as it is to play the Russian version.

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,097   +43

Really? You think that it is just as stupid to play "Facebook Russian Roulette" than would be in real life?

THAT is interesting... Deleted your Facebook account is equal to deleting your life... amazing how sucked in people get into the digital world... and I thought I was THE computer geek who sat around all day playing Minecraft. geez...

7. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,317   +239

Heck, no type of suicide is guaranteed.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,142   +1,532

Developing an Anti-Facebook Application, sounds like something I would develop if I had the skill.

Maybe Zuckerburg should rethink this and make this the only way to delete your account. We already know Zuckerburg doesn't want you leaving Facebook. Making deletion a 1 in 6 chance of success seems to me would be right up his alley.

davislane1 and learninmypc like this.
  9. I wish that Zuckerberg would play Russian Roulette, for real.

With 6 bullets.

And a lama.

LukeDJ and learninmypc like this.
  10. Denxnis

Denxnis TS Rookie

This is genius lol.

11. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

I'd fire six times and say goodbye to those stupid facebook games.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.