Facebook breaks past one billion active users milestone

By Jos
Oct 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A million active users isn't cool. You know what's cool? A billion active users... and Facebook has just crossed that milestone as revealed in a short post by the company's CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg. To put that into perspective,...

Read more
  2. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 165   +31

How many of the 1 billion are actual users? I doubt they can claim 1 billion, with all the alternate accounts and more. Meh it's always fun to play the numbers game.
  4. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

That best part about this is that facebook can abuse privacy or add new paid features all they want. Very few people will leave because everybody else is already on Facebook (which is the only thing that really matters for social networking sites). Others like Google+ can possibly make better sites, but for a social networking site, without a user base they can't really get a user base.
  5. RavenKing

RavenKing Newcomer, in training

Well if you take me into account I have created around 200+ facebook accounts. so you know their counting those too>
  6. Why have you created 200+ facebook accounts??????
  7. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 877   +94

Some staggering numbers right there, and seeing as this is just numbers... 62.6 million songs averaged out to about 4 minutes a song listened to 22 billion times comes out to roughly 1.7 million years, that's a lot of time wasted. Imagine had that time been used productively? Doesn't matter, what does matter is what ReederOnTheRun said " Very few people will leave because everybody else is already on Facebook" and I agree with. Which is why I left, not looking back. I think the 1 billion active users can be cut almost in half, I know too many people with multiple accounts, not captain 200+ by any means, but 2, 3 even up to 4 accounts doesn't surprise me. Hence why the "one billion active users" should be taken with a grain of salt, and we can't forget the clicky bots that just click on adds, who knows how many of those there are out there.
  8. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,257   +110

How many unique real people?
    Half a million?
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,237   +335

Nice. As they say, never underestimate people's stupidity.

1billion is about 1 in 8 today's world. And *****s make most of the population, so mr. Zuckerberg may get a few more billions enlisted from the great unwashed.
  10. Active users? Yeah right. How many of those users are fake or scam accounts? A very big number, but I highly doubt that it is even near to true.
  11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 785   +86

So quick to downplay everything :p
  12. If this is correct 1 billion people are getting wasted. That will sum up to a huge Loss of productivity
  13. ..no matter how you hate it, but Mr. Zuckerberg has generated billion of dollars from facebook.

14. "..no matter how you hate it, but Mr. Zuckerberg has generated billion of dollars from facebook"

So he's a very very rich and smart guy...yeah yeah we get it. It's just too bad it took us so much time to figure out that we were all suckers. Why oh why did I actually buy into this whole fakebook crap? Never again crazy internets, never again.
  15. Taycat

Taycat Newcomer, in training Posts: 52

How much you wanna bet half of those are abandoned accounts?
  16. "..no matter how you hate it, but Mr. Zuckerberg has generated billion of dollars from facebook."

And? I hear there is also a big market for cocaine...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.