Facebook bug disables thousands of female user accounts

By Emil
Nov 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Thousands of female Facebook users had their accounts inexplicably disabled today. They did not violate Facebook's terms of use but nevertheless, they are seeing messages claiming their accounts are "inauthentic," according to Me & Her.

Read the whole story
  2. KG363

KG363 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

You're right, the burden should be on FB.
    but then again, it is a free service...

I would prefer to have the burden on FB, but FB has every right to turn the burden to the user
  3. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,072   +75

That should teach them to quit playing on the computer and get back to the kitchen! No, I'm just kidding...

This is why I don't mess with failbook. Too many security flaws and holes in their code...
  4. j05hh

j05hh Newcomer, in training Posts: 95   +15

kinda funny how it only effected female user accounts... so sexist. lol
  5. I was one of those females that was effected by this bug and my account was deactivated - waiting for it to be cleared up
  6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

This is a major problem. There is no excuse for asking such a thing as a valid driver's license/government issued ID. Had I been effected I would say 'so long' to Facebook.
  7. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,316   +116

8. And what about those without drivers licenses?..or those who don't want to give FB a copy of it? Guess they're outta luck. This is why I don't use social networking sites, especially FB.
  9. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

$30000 says facebook will harvest the info from the drivers licenses/passports.
  10. vangrat

vangrat Newcomer, in training Posts: 223

It wants your drivers license...WHAT IN THE WORLD...Okay seriously, anyone who actually does this, deserves to have their identity stolen. For the love of all that is sane. They do not need your ID to proove it is who you say you are. They can send an email to your authenticated email address and proove it. Or you know, call your mom, sister, brother, and significant other, whoes numbers you have posted for the world to see.../facepalm
  11. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Wow they actually want your drivers license to reactivate, hmmm, is it really worth it?

12. Ohh man, no1 thought of those little horny males in that site?
  13. satty

satty Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

LOLZZZ..... wonder why BUGS prefer females...!!!
  14. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

BEGIN
    IF breasts = female, Dcup THEN
    ADD user
    ELSEIF breasts = a,b,c
    DISABLE account
  15. anguis

anguis Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

they needed SOME way to get the address of the females they have been facebook stalking.
  16. BEGIN
    IF breasts = female, Dcup THEN
    ADD user
    ELSEIF breasts = a,b,c
    DISABLE account
    love it !
  17. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Completely agree with vangrat. Drivers licences should not be required to reactive their account. Color me paranoid, but I see an identity theft scam.

@mattfrompa - thats awesome. Explains why my facebook addicted roommate didn't get disabled tho :p.
  18. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

LOL! Comment of the week right there.
  19. Would you trust Facebook with a copy of your drivers license?
  20. haha... u must be a-cup ! :p
  21. I am one of the users who was disabled. No, I didn't do anything wrong. Yes, they have been very rude and emailed me and told me that my account is permanently disabled. Yes, I am female and NO, I do not intend to send in a copy of my driver's license. No one should send in a copy of their driver's license in this day of fraud.
  22. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 812   +18

@matfrompa: Couldn't stop laughing.
    In other news, Facebook was down this morning. Gmail was down 2 days ago. Never reported.
  23. Johny47

Johny47 Newcomer, in training Posts: 157

I wonder if this is called the XX bug, or Male dominance bug hahaha I'm only joking seriously but I think more girls use facebook than boys so it must have been quite alot quieter when all this was happening =P
  24. dave10

dave10 Newcomer, in training

A bad news for all female users.
  25. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I think its absurd they should even be asking for photographic proof for any members. That is information they do not need!

FB gets worse and worse every single day. Its outrageous what they seem to merrily get away with asking of their members!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.