TechSpot

Facebook complaints from privacy groups taken to FTC

By Jos
Sep 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ten privacy groups have written to the chairman of the Federal Trade Commission asking that Facebook be assessed for its use of super cookies, used by the social networking giant…

Read the whole story

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,091   +1,519

F__K Facebook

Facebook is no longer a social network, it's a market place.

I have an account and login just to see if there is any thing different. Then I log back out because of all the money making crap that is nearly impossible to ignore.

3. Lack of privacy is the number one reason I have never used Facebook nor do I ever plan to.

4. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

The thing is, Facebook only gets what you allow them to have. If you give them your life story that's your fault not Zuckerberg's. Now you might bring up the tracking issue. Well, to avoid tracking by Facebook outside of the www.facebook.com domain, simply use NoScript, AdBlock, BetterPrivacy and some other good privacy-aiding add-ons available.

Although, Facebook is getting a lot worse for invading privacy than it used to be. I'm about ready for Facebook to get replaced by a different social network that doesn't invade privacy to the extent that Facebook does. And no, I simply can't trust Google for privacy.

5. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

Interestingly, I began systematically wiping out my info manually on my account last night. Once I am done I will most likely delete the account altogether. It's as close to a secure wipe as I can manage.

6. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

You should try to delete as many things as possible. I did this on my old account and I went and deleted EVERYTHING. Deleted every comment I made, "unliked" as many things as I could find that I had liked, and removed every friend on it and other things until it was an empty profile. Apparently if you contact Facebook support they will really wipe all your stuff if you be persistent enough about it.

7. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

That's what I am doing right now. Finally got to the 'joined Facebook' comment :)

Last phase is to remove all friends and family from the account and then I'm done. It's really quite therapeutic in a way ;)

8. Not exactly true about FB only gets what you give them. With the way they have been manipulating cookies and tracking you even when you are logged out they aren't getting more information than you give them? OH YES they are. They track EVERYTHING you do. Now haow they use that information has yet to be determined. But I will guarantee it isn't in your best interests. And how long have they been doing this. Zukerberg says it was a mistake, an accident. Ya right and I'm Abraham Lincoln too! I'm sure this has been going on for a long time and the only accident was that they were caught. NOTHING happens at FB that isn't driven by $$$$$$ and greed!
    And in case you didn't know this. Your page NEVER goes away. It is archived by FB for use at a later time.
    And no I don't particularly trust Google with privacy either. But I certainly trust them more than FAKEBOOK!!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.