TechSpot

Facebook deep in negotiations to acquire Waze

By Dave LeClair
May 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook is in advanced talks to purchase Israel-based navigation app Waze. The deal is reported to be in the same $800 million to $1 billion range the social network paid for Instagram, and is seen as another opportunity to bolster...

Read more

2. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Evangelist Posts: 602   +86

Great.... the inevitable is now happening. knew it was too good of a ride to last. now let the ads and "maybe" even subscription begin.

3. aMerkuri

aMerkuri TS Enthusiast Posts: 39   +12

NOOO ...

4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

My first reaction: "WTF is Waze?"

Second reaction: "1 billion for a thing that I've never heard of?!"

I need to make some obscure software and charge some dot com too much money for it!

5. Mortalife

Mortalife TS Rookie

I use Waze everyday as a field engineer, and at times has been indispensable in avoiding traffic. General day to day usage is very good, and I prefer it to the built in Android Navigation app. Will be sorry to see anything happen to it. Can only hope this will be a good thing..

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I used it when I got my iPhone 5 back in September before Google Maps was released. The social aspect of it is neat. The cartoony interface is trash though. I will never go back to it. Facebook will ruin it as is has done with everything else.

7. Mortalife

Mortalife TS Rookie

Well, aren't you a cheerful chap. What about the app makes you describe it as garbage?

8. Jad Chaar

1) It is glitchy 2) The social aspect is neat, but isnt for me. 3) The interface is just, uhhhh, bad.

9. howzz1854

it's first of its kind that's by far the smartest and intuitive navigation software. I've used quite a variety of different kind, living in LA, WAZE is the way to go.

jobeard likes this.
  10. howzz1854

somehow I find this hard to believe. just what part of waze you find it to be "garbage". as far as I know, it's the only app that's smart enough and most real-time that alerts you of traffic cameras, police presence, accidents in rea-time, road construction in real time, able to communicate with fellow drivers who're 2 miles ahead of you in traffice, and able to divert you to alternate route based on real-time user feedback. I live in downtown LA, and I've tried many different navs, so I really would like to know just what is about Waze that is garbage, because all the default phone nav apps are what I would call garbage in comparison.

11. Jad Chaar

I will try it another time and get back to you.

12. Jad Chaar

Ok, so I redownloaded it. They have made a ton of enhancements since I last used it so I am willing to give it another true try. I still hate that cartoony interface though.

13. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Waze would lose users if they sell out to facebook.

14. MonsterZero

MonsterZero TS Addict Posts: 229   +89

Why do the sperm in the logo have hair and wheels?

15. Jad Chaar

That is what irks me lol.

16. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,348   +622

Now isn't that a great criterion to evaluate software (n)

17. Jad Chaar

I like aesthetics, dont blame me lol. I want my home screen to look pretty. I dont want a smiling I-don't-know-what-that-is figure on my home screen.

18. jobeard

Fine; as a software developer, my focus is on function delivered and not on eye-candy. To each his own; beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ...

Jad Chaar likes this.
  19. Jad Chaar

Yes! But to sell an app, it needs to be ecstatically appealing. I try to stand clear of ugly apps (I can tell easily by the apps logo) (iOS). If you develop for desktop apps, not mobile apps, then yes, functionality>eye candy.

20. jobeard