TechSpot

Facebook glitch temporarily breaks the web

By Rick
Feb 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday, an untold number of Internet surfers experienced a glitch which abruptly redirected them from the sanctuary of their favorite websites to a Facebook error page. Websites essentially taken down by this snafu included Hulu, Lifehacker, Washington Post, ESPN, CNN,...

Read more

2. Broke the web, huh? That's possibly the most ignorant sounding headline I've heard in a long time. Isn't this supposed to be a tech savvy publication?

davislane1 and H3llion like this.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

I agree - - title implies that Facebook IS the Internet :joke:

H3llion likes this.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

Btw:- the bug also highlights the risk of implementing a 3rd party script (aka login via your FB account) into your own website (this is a loss of control for the websites which were broken).

The same kind of thing has occurred (and will occur) for Cloud computing where one of the services gets broken (eg the AWS outages) which takes down something the user is attempting to use.

5. Well if you were logged into facebook lots of non-facebook web pages were broken so maybe they should have said it broke part of the web only for some people logged into facebook? It's a headline!

6. You people need to lighten up...life is too short.

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Yes, which is why our readers are expected to understand the subtext of such headlines... ;-)

davislane1 likes this.
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,405   +1,594

It is possible to break a network without breaking all parts of the network or breaking it for everyone. So yes, I agree with the headline.

9. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

I thought the NEW HOMEPAGE was the glitch.

10. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Facebook? You mean that place is still around? (he said hypocritically, all signed in at TS using that weird "F"-ish icon)

11. jonjonjon

jonjonjon TS Rookie Posts: 18

That's what happens when Facebook is integrated into very single web site. It's also the perfect example of why I use noscript with all Facebook urls listed as untrusted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.