Facebook hits 350 million users, closes 3,500 accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Social networking giant Facebook reached a new milestone this week, surpassing 350 million registered users. Founder Mark Zuckerberg noted the occasion in a blog update, where he outlined how his company achieved that number and where it is going from here.

Zuckerberg also used the time to address concerns about changes to Facebook's privacy policies. A major change will be the nature of networks, where regional networks are disbanded and users are presented with more confirmations on what information is exposed. Other privacy options will be simplified by combining many actions.

In the same breath, Facebook also shut down nearly 3,500 accounts in cooperation with law enforcement to remove Internet predators from the site. Facebook has made a public effort to keep the site clean from criminals for some time, but the sheer size of the site may make that increasingly difficult.

Permalink to story.

Well, we saw a similar news posting about when they hit 300 million a while back here on TechSpot and my comment now is the same as then. I'd take that 350 million user count with a grain of salt. Almost everyone I know has multiple Facebook accounts. One of my co-workers daughter has TWENTY-EIGHT accounts.

I'd be more impressed if they could give us a count of actual users. ;)

Zuckerberg doesn't know where he is going. He is on a snowball rolling down a hill with no guidance.

I am not a huge fan of social networking sites but I have been amazed how much Facebook, Twitter, etc. have exploded in popularity.

Meh. Facebook is a fun time-waster every now and then. But I'm always wary about what info of mine gets on the internet. FB is only marginally less creepy than Google when it comes to knowing too much.

Remember when facebook was just a college student thing....I do...I was there. I remember the petitions and rallies to stop letting in High school students....then all students....then anyone.

350 million is just crazy.

Those 3,500 disabled accounts are like the tip of the iceberg compared to how many that needs to be disabled..

It's about time Facebook did this. I think itll be very nice to post pics that you dont want all your friends to see

I'm still a Facebook holdout too. I don't get why everyone is so anxious to share their personal lives with strangers. Some of the stuff that people are posting to these social networking sites is going to come back and haunt them a few yrs from now.

I got a facebook when I was at university. There were no newsfeed, no apps.I think the jury is still out if those changes were for the better. I just know when I see my 70 year old uncle on the site, its just a bit weird.

350 million!!! God that's a lot of people, I don't really see how thay are going to catch all the sex predators and creppy guys out there, I have a facebook account and I almost never check it, some of their games are fun but after a while you get bored, some of my friends are really addicted to this page, everytime they get a new picture they run to upload it, ,and by the comment of TomSEA I do not undertand why would anybody have more than one account, come on 28???, that's mad.

With that many users this company must be getting lots of cash due to advertisement and other stuff, why didn't i get shares when I could haha

350 million is a ton but i know many of my friends have multiple accounts which contributes to the total i assume. I personally have 1 facebook and 1 myspace account . I think that facebook has a place because i have found people i used to know on here and can communicate with them again :) . as for taking down the bad guys more power to them but it is a futile task in that people will always find a way to do something that they shouldn't with whatever they have at there disposal.

well thats just too creepy 350 million, I wonder how many of does folks have real lifes... tnk god I don't have a FB account. :)
350 banned... I doubt that will do much.

TomSEA said:
One of my co-workers daughter has TWENTY-EIGHT accounts.

Maybe it's just because I'm getting older and not keeping up with the trends of the younger generation, but that's ridiculous. But from my experience pretty much all the people I know only have one account.

I have a myspace account that I never even bother checking or updating anymore..If anything i'll close that account, not add on with a facebook account as well. On the other hand I would say one appeal would be keeping in touch with really old friends and people from highschool/college that you don't see or talk to anymore.

350 Million. Wow. Frankly I thought they would have burned out and faded away long before now. However, I think peoples dependency on self promotion through Facebook is sad indeed. There was a clip on CNN about how a couple changed their marital status on facebook literally as they were saying their vows in church.

the thing i dont like about FB is all the apps i mean come on how many different types of mobster games and farm games and the such can one person really like i seriously dont like the way myspace and FB have gone now that there owned by big companies.

I really love FB, i'm using it for about 2 months now.. Till then i was using a specific network available in my country, but facebook beats them all!

Yeah I read the letter, it was on the facebook homepage,
did anyone else notice that 95 percent of the comments below his letter
were SPAM!? Yet no one addresses this issue at all, they just ignore it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back