Facebook imports Gmail data anyway, Google "disappointed"

By Emil
Nov 9, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has decided to ignore Google's attempt to block the social networking site from grabbing the search giant's data, according to All Facebook. Palo Alto has found a way around Mountain View's restriction and is leveraging a Google feature that lets users download their own data for their own use. Facebook gives its new users a direct download link and then instructs them to upload the Google file back to Facebook.

Read the whole story
  2. bakape

bakape TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123

Google Wars - from battling Mac to invading countries. Always entertaining! :D
  3. Frostback

Frostback Newcomer, in training

While technically Facebook is not violating the ToS as it is the Gmail users data, it seems like a slightly shady workaround. Facebook is still reeling from all the privacy issues they've faced this year and don't want another issue to rear it's ugly head. Problem is, if Google can offer a download of the data in their Gmail users contacts, why can't Facebook offer the same thing? It's obviously not a technical issue, more of a corporate policy issue. Facebook will release the data for one thing: money.
  4. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 431   +8

This means Fargin war............
  5. customcarvin

customcarvin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +7

Facebook should tread carefully around Google.... they might have an accident and be known as Faceplant.... ..... :D
  6. VitaminC

VitaminC Newcomer, in training Posts: 29

I wonder how many of the facebook addicts out there would even consider this an issue if they knew what was going on.
  7. Neojt

Neojt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 135   +9

somebody is looking for a law suit ...
  8. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156

I lold, even though there is some truth to it.
    Facebook->:thumbsdown:
  9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

I wonder how many normal Facebook/Gmail users even care about these issues, at the end of the day people just want to sync their contacts!
  10. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,023   +90

@slh28: i don't care about facebook, but i do want to some "blood spilled". in the end us, the users should benefit from this "war".
  11. Razerblade

Razerblade Newcomer, in training Posts: 117

I smell trouble! If Facebook can use gmail contacts then Gmail should be able to use Facebook. It is only fair. I wonder if Google will find a way around this?!

12. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

way to go mark he likes to screw everybody if you haven't seen the social network its great. I do think its wrong for facebook to do this anyway when they were asked not to.
  13. Recipe7

Recipe7 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 142

Billions vs. Billions = doesn't matter. A lawsuit will still end in both still having Billions.
  14. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor Newcomer, in training Posts: 49

Lol they don't give a rat's *** about "privacy issues." It wouldn't be Facebook to begin with if they did.
  15. Mushroom

Mushroom Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

Just what Facebook needs, a bad image...oh wait.
  16. ruzveh

ruzveh Banned Posts: 124

Indirectly we are making copies of our own contacts everywhere. Facebook servers are already floating eveywhere on torrent sites and thing like this is really a shameful thing
  17. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,035   +70

It rather can be the other way round, because google is perceiving facebook as a long term threat. Anyway, frankly I don't like the idea of few big players get the ability to control how 'users can use their own data'.
  18. pacostrano

pacostrano TechSpot Member

My contacts of Gmail are not link and it will never be
  19. surbey

surbey Newcomer, in training

Many don't and that's the problem. If people do not actively use and support programs that push for platform independence or fewer data restrictions than they might go the wayside. I think our society got VERY lucky that a company like google is run by mostly sane and thoughtful individuals. Can you imagine if Google wanted to start charging for use? Or if they only wanted certain pages to display that support them exclusively? We'd be screwed.

On this issue, Google is completely right. The guys at Facebook have never been on the ball with what users want or what is best for everyone involved.
  20. Zilpha

Zilpha TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 349

Great - two of the biggest companies with the worst privacy policies fighting over whose shady privacy policies are violated more.....

I am so glad I don't use either - you folks are insane putting your lives in the hands of things like Facebook and Google.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.