TechSpot

Facebook introduces Timeline for Pages

By Shawn Knight
Feb 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has introduced their Timeline feature for businesses and brands after making the layout a mandatory update for personal profiles starting last month. Businesses are being encouraged to make theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. Wow facebook really is turning into a big pile of poop!

3. shamus087

shamus087 TS Rookie Posts: 27

The minute my profile switches to the new layout, I'm deleting my facebook.

Google+ will be the only social website I use.

4. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

5. I wouldn't mind the update being mandatory as long as there is a way to go back -_-

6. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 349

They are making this mandatory? I hate that layout - looks like I'm going to have to leave fakebook too now. I hate when companies force things like this.

7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,458   +566

Closed my Facebook account over the weekend due in large part to this Timeline nonsense. I think I'll be sticking to Twitter and, perhaps in the future, G+.

However, I do see the marketing capability for businesses. Timeline is nearly perfect for advertising a brand, minus the poorly thought out two-column set up for posts. Unfortunately, mandating Timeline for regular users was a mistake that might eat into some of that newly developed utility.

8. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I love how people get all mad and say they'll delete their Facebook account as if Google doesn't force changes on it users. How about that new YouTube layout? How about the handful of forced UI changes they've made to their Google search engine over the years. Yeah, that's what I thought.

9. viperfl

viperfl TS Rookie Posts: 22

Don't know why Techspot is saying Timeline is mandatory for personal accounts. So far it's only an option and you don't have to change it just yet. I get the box on my Facebook page giving me the option to change it, but I decline. Maybe sometime later Facebook will force me to use it, but so far not at the moment. I just looked at my Facebook account and it's still the same layout.

10. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Timeline is god awful for me. Yet more "better" changes forced on the masses at gunpoint. What the hell the point is of giving people a choice of something they will eventually have no choice of *not* having anyway is, I don't know.

11. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Last time I checked, the usability of a social network is evident when you get to share with the people in your life. The fact that people spend more time on Facebook than on Google+ is of little to no consequence to those who use Google+ and have most--if not all--their friends on it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.