Facebook Messenger announced, a dedicated app for on the go messaging

By Shawn Knight
Aug 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has launched a new messaging client for smartphones, aptly named Facebook Messenger. The free standalone app will compete with other popular and upcoming programs like RIM’s BlackBerry Messenger 6…

Read the whole story
  2. cant find it in the android market.. typed "facebook messenger"
  3. It's there. Just scroll down.
  4. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

I typed Facebook Messenger in the Android market too, I can't find it either... not even if I scroll. Luckily, you can still get it using the link provided in the article.

Update: It seems that Facebook hates me still. On the smartphone, it reads: "Messenger app: Coming Soon!"
  5. Does microsoft not own a % of facebook?

But once again the WP7 fails to get a useful app.
    Not hard to see why they are loosing the smartphone race by a longshot.
  6. You can only get this app if you're in the US. I tried installing it through my web browser in Australia and it said I'm not allowed to ... :(

If you're trying to find it in the Android Market from outside the US it won't show up.
  7. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,384   +607

So I assume it works? Unlike the chat system in the normal FB app that doesn't work, ever since they implemented the all-on-one inbox..

And will the chat feature be removed from the original app?
  8. @ 3rd Guest

MS will have Facebook chat integrated in WP7 Mango, so get your facts straight before posting nonsense.
  9. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Note, this seems to be only available for install in the US so far. Just tried to install over browser from the android market and the message "This item cannot be installed in your device's country" was displayed (UK). Guess we'll get it in other countries sooner or later.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.