Facebook officially announces support for hashtags

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook twitter hashtags

Facebook on Wednesday announced official support for hashtags after a successful run on other services like Instagram and Twitter. They’ve become a “vital part of popular culture” and since they’re already used organically on the social network anyway, they decided to make them a true feature.

In a blog post on the topic, Facebook said hashtags will now be clickable. This will allow users to see a feed of what other people are saying about a particular event or topic. Furthermore, users will now be able to search for a specific hashtag from the search bar, click on hashtags that originate from other services like Instagram and compose posts directly from the hashtag feed and search results.

The social network points out that, like always, users will be able to control the audience for a post, even when using hashtags.

We’re told that hashtags are just the first step in helping people more easily discover what others are talking about with regards to a specific topic or event. They plan to roll out more features in the coming weeks and months such as trending hashtags and deeper insights.

Rumors surfaced back in March that Facebook would be implementing hashtags, a feature that was made famous in 2007. If you aren’t familiar, hashtags are words or phrases that are prefixed with the # symbol and are used to group together all posts about a similar event or topic.

Permalink to story.

?vital part of popular culture?... oh good grief... I can't believe this is popular news.

Here we go... if only people knew how to use hashtags properly. Commence FB posts with:

#justchillindrinkingbeer
#wowwhatacutie
#doilookfatinthese?

Here we go... if only people knew how to use hashtags properly. Commence FB posts with:

#justchillindrinkingbeer
#wowwhatacutie
#doilookfatinthese?
Just wait for these:
#enteringbathroom
#itsmellsinhere
#flushingthetoilet
#turningthedoorknob90degreeslikeaboss

LOL

Oh thank God! Now I can send the fireman with the net home, along with the suicide prevention negotiators, and just come inside from the 12th floor ledge I was about to jump off.

To paraphrase Patrick Henry, "#givemehashtags, or #givemedeath"!

#YOLOSWAG is the only acceptable hashtag IMO. But only if you use it ironically.. and aren't a hipster. :D
Wouldn't admitting that you know what that even means, be tantamount to admitting to being a closet hipster?:confused: Or maybe an ironically closeted hipster?

Did we need to see that twice, or did the server trick you with the, "server did not respond in time, please try again, #gotcha"?.

Your browser must be trolling you then.
This box is IGP, maybe it forgot to overwrite the screen......:confused:

Truthfully, this computer and Firefox put their heads together and come up with some of the most creative video crashes you'll ever see.

The screen will go totally black, but you'll see one element. Then you run your mouse all over the screen, and the page fills in....:eek:

But, the end is nigh when you get to that point.......And the next thing you know......you see wallpaper......:D

But wait, there's more! Firefox apologizes for the crash, and offers to restore your pages. So I mutter to the dialog box, "this I gotta see ***** ******, I been browsing in "private mode".....":mad:

#maybeishouldinstallopera

Should I invest my life savings in facebook shares now or what?........

Back