Facebook purchases 750 patents from IBM, doubles portfolio

By Leeky
Mar 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Social networking giant Facebook has moved to increase its patent portfolio by purchasing 750 patents from IBM Corporation for an undisclosed figure, which is thought to be in the hundreds…

Read the whole story
  2. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +51

Think if for one year everyone worked together for science, no wars, no competition. We would probably leap ahead 20+ years.
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

Except many technological advancements are a result of wars. Although, I would gladly give up wars.

Also, 4th paragraph, I think the word is "rife" instead of "strife.".
  4. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

Brace for over 600 different patent trolling lawsuits within the next 18 months.
  5. Patents; the next arms race.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,865   +344

lol...yahoo patent trolling.
    Yahoo needs to get their sh** together.
    Facebook needs to stop doing everything wrong.
  7. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +51

True
  8. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Resorting to lawsuits instead of competing in the market used to be taken as a sign that a company was close to failing. SCO trying to claim all the work others did on Linux comes to mind. I guess Yahoo fits that stereotype too. But now the big corporations seem to do that, whether or not they're close to failure. Are they imitating Apple? Maybe just trying to keep multiple cubelands of lawyers busy? Lawyers themselves trying to justify their salaries? Maybe just execs exercising typical corporate greed in search of side money? I don't get this business of big corporations trolling like that.

Congress sure did a great job of rationalizing the patent system. Now it makes just about as much public policy sense as their stupid drug war, or declaring the U.S. an active battlefield. I wonder - if they "fix" patent law again, can they make it even more chaotic?
  9. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

Corrected. Thank you, and my apologies for the error.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.