Facebook replaces Chrome recommendation with Opera, foreshadowing?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook has reportedly dropped their support for Google’s Chrome web browser, instead replacing it with Opera on their recommended browser list. The move could signal that a rumored acquisition of the browser maker is nearly complete.

When a user visits the social network using a browser that isn’t official supported, Facebook redirects them to a page that lists browsers they say will give users the best experience. Until recently, that list included Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Chrome. Observant viewers have since noticed that Chrome has been replaced by Opera in this list, although independent testing on my end with Chrome didn’t trigger the same browser warning that others are experiencing.

facebook drops google chrome recommendation replaces opera acquisition chrome facebook

As briefly alluded to in our weekend news roundup several days ago, all rumors are suggesting that Facebook is preparing to buy Opera. Company stock is still reeling after a poor IPO showing and with roughly $16 billion now at their disposal, making a big acquisition sooner rather than later could be just what the company needs to restore investor faith. Acquiring Opera would mean that the social network wouldn’t have to build a browser from the ground up, yet another boon.

The Norwegian-based Opera was initially released in 1994 although a mobile version of the browser has been available for only a few years. The company claims to have over 200 million users worldwide, or roughly 20 percent of the user base that Facebook has.

Analysts are predicting that the acquisition could cost Facebook over $1billion. Lest we forget that Facebook spent $1 billion to acquire Instagram not too long ago in a deal that hasn’t even been finalized yet.

Permalink to story.

Opera is an awesome browser! I just wish it had a better plugin eco-system! I would use Opera over Firefox if I could have the same plugins on it any day of the week.

Also, Opera has several other features like RSS and POP3/IMAP4/SMTP mail client built right in. And still weighing in less than FF in size and memory!

I think opera is a good browser, but if facebook actually acquires the browser it will go straight to hell...

Looks like I will soon be uninstalling Opera...
After all, facebook seems to only be able to ruin a good thing lately.

Disappointing.

I've used Opera as my primary browser for years now. As stated above It will probably go belly up if Facebook gets it.

Also, it's rather odd that Facebook would recommend Opera seeing as to how they don't work well together. IE is the best browser for facebook by far.

how naive, I thought facebook was everybody's friend. on another thought, the news is so exciting to hear, can facebook really pull this off? to be be continued...[sound of suspense]

Damn it, I don't like any other browser, they're all too big and try to do too much...not to mention they're not that great to look at. Facebook blows, they can't even design their own website properly, what makes them think they can handle their own browser

I hope to god this rumour turns out to be false, but if it was I would of thought that either Opera or Facebook would of made a statement already if so.

So, I'm afraid for Opera now. If it does get eaten up by FB I will uninstall it immediately, and it will be a sad day. I've been using Opera exclusively for years and it will be hard to replace.

No doubt due to Google+\Circles . Shameful - I'm quite certain Facebook runs just fine in Chrome.

Right, buy the crap you can afford, and bad-mouth what you can't afford buying, that's the model.

- Facebook *****s worldwide united!

1 billion seems to be the going rate for Faceache purchases. "Hey Zuckerberg, ive have an old Hyundai lantra for sale. A cool billion and its yours!"

Already returned to version 10.xx. Disabled all updates. "Opera 11+" by FaceCock is dead.

HAHAHAHA nice on dont support the ONLY browser that supassed I.e used in like forever!

Opera's quirks on facebook is due to facebook not making the effort to ensure compatibility with the browser. However with this acquisition if true, that will change. Do you really think that they will acquire a browser and fix their compatibility issues?

Opera browser sucks!
e.g.
It fails to highlight visited links in different color a few times a week (I.e. not always fail), for the same web page. Other browser has no such problem. So, I'm sure it's problem of Opera. This is the most basic thing in HTML.
It also hangs or crashes, especially when viewing YouTube video.

Hahaha IE is the best browser for Facebook?

IE is terrible. You're doing yourself and the world a disservice by using it.

Back