TechSpot

Facebook replaces Chrome recommendation with Opera, foreshadowing?

By Shawn Knight
May 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has reportedly dropped their support for Google's Chrome web browser, instead replacing it with Opera on their recommended browser list. The move could signal that a rumored acquisition of...

Read the whole story

2. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 211   +14

Internet drama in 3, 2, 1...

3. Panda218

Panda218 TS Maniac Posts: 288   +105

WHY?!?!

4. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

Opera is an awesome browser! I just wish it had a better plugin eco-system! I would use Opera over Firefox if I could have the same plugins on it any day of the week.

Also, Opera has several other features like RSS and POP3/IMAP4/SMTP mail client built right in. And still weighing in less than FF in size and memory!

5. Panda218

Panda218 TS Maniac Posts: 288   +105

I think opera is a good browser, but if facebook actually acquires the browser it will go straight to hell...

6. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,320   +709

Opera and FB: two useless things that deserve each other.

7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Facebook engaging in its weekly event to alienate users.

8. Looks like I will soon be uninstalling Opera...
    After all, facebook seems to only be able to ruin a good thing lately.

Disappointing.

9. I've used Opera as my primary browser for years now. As stated above It will probably go belly up if Facebook gets it.

Also, it's rather odd that Facebook would recommend Opera seeing as to how they don't work well together. IE is the best browser for facebook by far.

10. ugh foolsbook ! time to uninstall Opera

11. Yeah there are plenty of quirks in Facebook when using Opera.

12. how naive, I thought facebook was everybody's friend. on another thought, the news is so exciting to hear, can facebook really pull this off? to be be continued...[sound of suspense]

13. Damn it, I don't like any other browser, they're all too big and try to do too much...not to mention they're not that great to look at. Facebook blows, they can't even design their own website properly, what makes them think they can handle their own browser

14. I hope to god this rumour turns out to be false, but if it was I would of thought that either Opera or Facebook would of made a statement already if so.

So, I'm afraid for Opera now. If it does get eaten up by FB I will uninstall it immediately, and it will be a sad day. I've been using Opera exclusively for years and it will be hard to replace.

15. No doubt due to Google+\Circles . Shameful - I'm quite certain Facebook runs just fine in Chrome.

16. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

17. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Right, buy the crap you can afford, and bad-mouth what you can't afford buying, that's the model.

- Facebook *****s worldwide united!

18. 1 billion seems to be the going rate for Faceache purchases. "Hey Zuckerberg, ive have an old Hyundai lantra for sale. A cool billion and its yours!"

19. Already returned to version 10.xx. Disabled all updates. "Opera 11+" by FaceCock is dead.

20. Neojt

Neojt TS Booster Posts: 166   +22

HAHAHAHA nice on dont support the ONLY browser that supassed I.e used in like forever!

21. Opera's quirks on facebook is due to facebook not making the effort to ensure compatibility with the browser. However with this acquisition if true, that will change. Do you really think that they will acquire a browser and fix their compatibility issues?

22. raybk

raybk TS Rookie Posts: 31

Opera browser sucks!
    e.g.
    It fails to highlight visited links in different color a few times a week (I.e. not always fail), for the same web page. Other browser has no such problem. So, I'm sure it's problem of Opera. This is the most basic thing in HTML.
    It also hangs or crashes, especially when viewing YouTube video.

23. Hahaha IE is the best browser for Facebook?

IE is terrible. You're doing yourself and the world a disservice by using it.

24. (n)Boo. Sc. U