Facebook starts rolling out new profile to all

Emil

Staff

Facebook has rolled out a new profile to all of its users. Last month, the social network introduced the new format, and gave its users the option to upgrade to it early. Hundreds of millions apparently chose to do so, but now the rest are getting it whether they like it or not. The new profile has the following features, according to Facebook:

• A quick summary of who you are (like where you live, work and grew up), right at the top of your profile
  • A row of recently tagged photos so friends can see what you've been up to lately
  • Room to highlight meaningful friendships (like teammates, co-workers or roommates)
  • More of your favorite activities and interests
  • The ability to tag your friends in important life experiences

Those who haven't upgraded to the new profile currently get the following message at the top of their Facebook homepage: "Coming Soon: Your New Profile. In the next few days you'll be upgraded to the new profile, which offers more ways to show and tell your story." In other words, users are going to be forced to upgrade. Given that there has never been a single update to Facebook that hasn't riled up millions of users, you can expect another public outcry about the profile change in the days to come.

Permalink to story.

And yet again Facebook forces an "update" that actually makes things worse. You'd think with companies like apple getting bad press over forcing updates they'd make it optional.

I think it's actually quite good. People complain because they are stubborn to change, I mean if you remember what the first version of Facebook looked like I think everyone will agree that it is better now. Remember the outcry over the news feeds? Now peopl can't really imagine Facebook without it.

Doesn't really make any bloody difference...All they've done is move things around a bit.

I was stubborn to change at first, but as always with Facebook, i got the feeling i wouldn't have had a choice eventually.

So here's how it's going to happen. The change will take affect, people will b*tch and moan, someone will create a group about it, then a week later it'll all be forgotten about. That's how it always goes.

matrix86 said:
So here's how it's going to happen. The change will take affect, people will b*tch and moan, someone will create a group about it, then a week later it'll all be forgotten about. That's how it always goes.

Nailed it. The only significant changes ever made to the Facebook UI was when they removed how apps could display on profile pages. People's pages were so clustered... it was a complete mess. Changes since then have been minimal and have had virtually no impact on my FB experience.

Yep, you got it pal! :grinthumb:

You can also apply that to a lot more things besides Facebook...Like politics for example.

Actually, the new profile is much harder to find things in. If I wanna look at photos, I will click photos tab. If I wanna see where you live, how old you are, I'll click Info tab. But the point is, if FB could facilitate two profile layouts now, why can't they keep it that way. My opinion: >:[

The new profile sucks cuz U can't change your picture you want displayed..The links are gone..>Plus where is my status...Come on Facebook...nice try...but you can do better!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but personally, I hate the new layout and if they enforce it then a few of us are going to leave it.

So Facebook is down 4 users, although, that's not exactly going to matter with their millions of users.

The new profile sucks cuz U can't change your picture you want displayed..The links are gone..>Plus where is my status...Come on Facebook...nice try...but you can do better!

You can still change your picture just by clicking on it.

Back