TechSpot

Facebook Trusted Contacts: call friends to recover your account

By Jesse
May 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has announced a new account recovery feature called Trusted Contacts. An enhancement to the existing Trusted Friends feature they first started testing in 2011, Trusted Contacts allows users to identify people they trust from within the security settings of...

Read more

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

LOL. Cos this won't cause any (in ascending order) internet drama, school bullying, stolen accounts, stolen identities, lives ruined, suicides.

JC713 likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,055   +918

I like the concept, but yeah, there is a bit too much creepiness associated with it.

4. Sounds good yeah. Just one more way, like facial recognition, of identifying you. This tool will let fb and the government know three of your most trusted confidents, and they will each supply three of their own. In this way, a board of association can be constructed. More of the world's largest spyware program! Me? I am currently locked out of my account, with no explanation. No way to get back into it, as every time I try, I just get kicked around three separate pages, over and over again. This "feature" won't actually help most people who are locked out of their accounts, as most lock outs are punitive punishments for perceived or alleged violations of facebook rules of conduct. Mine? Not sure. I called Bibi a coward, maybe that was enough?

5. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

Hahaha, this will not work. Most of the friends I would trust a house key with are also the people I would least trust with my Facebook account.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't trust myself with my friends accounts ;)

6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Where can I find these trusted contacts >_>

7. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

It's called get off of cyberspace and meet people for real in person (the ones who aren't glued to their cellphones while with people)...
    ;p

8. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TS Member Posts: 65   +7

This could make for awesome pranks though.

Note: Pranks on friends with a sense of humor, not suicidal ones.

9. Dustyn

Dustyn TS Rookie Posts: 31

Sounds utterly stupid. This is their idea of security? Facebook is a security issue.

10. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

This just in: Hospitals give the on/off switch on life support to trusted contacts gleamed via FB!

Dustyn likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.