Facing issues with Wireless ad-hoc networking on Mandrake 9.2---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superczar

Big Long thread I am afraid...But please do read thru patiently:

What I want--> Setting up a wireless ad-hoc network between my Linux (mandrake 9.2) desktop and XP Laptop

Wireless Devices involved --> Compex WLU11 USB wireless adapter based on ATMEL chipset on the desktop and Intel Pro 2200 card on the laptop

What I managed to get done-->

1- Installed the Atmel WLAN drivers which did not work
2- Installed the Berlios atmel drivers which thankfully, got the device up
3- AT this stage, an ifconfig -1 showed the following

eth0- IP 192.168.2.15 Mask 255.255.255.0 etc....
atml0- essid "" tx 0 rx 0 etc....

Note that the device was called atml0 and not eth1 as expected
anyway:
4- i did an ifconfig atml0 192.168.0.1
5- Did an iwconfig atml0 mode ad-hoc essid home

now here in comes the problem, when i tried to create the ad-hoc network called home on the desktop, though no errors came up, a scan on the Laptop did not show any available networks....

I would have given up here, but for this:

I created an ad-hoc network called xyz between my XP laptop and my flatmate's XP laptop with IPs of 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 (which functioned perfectly)...with this network up. i did:

"iwconfig atml0 mode ad-hoc essid xyz" on the linux machine,....lo and behold, it connected to the network and the ping b/w the desktop and the two laptops started functioning perfectly well...

6 - this probably means that the linux desktop is not being able to create an ad-hoc network by itself.....All it is being able to do is connect to an existing ad-hoc network....

7 - I need to create the ad-hoc network on the desktop as this machine acts as my gateway machine to my Internet connection.....

How do I do this?

Also:
1. atml0 is not showing up in the netwroks section of the mandarke control center in the KDE GUI, where do I need to eneter atml0 so that it appears there along with eth0 in the list of network interfaces

2. How do I do an ICS between atml0 and eth1 as eth1 is the primary Internet interface.....

Thanks for listening to the whole sob story....Any pointers on the way fwd welcome.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back