TechSpot

Factory restore on a Dell laptop

By AlbertLionheart
Sep 25, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Dell laptop in the wksps which needs a factory restore. I see there are several partitions on the drive and quess there might be some recovery software on one of them - problem is, how do I get it to run?
    If needs be I will clear the lot and reinstall Windows myself, but if there is a factory restore image on there it would save time with the drivers and so on if I can run it.
    The original CDs that came with the machine are missing - the system still runs so is it possible to create a recovery CD?
    Any ideas anyone?
  2. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Maniac Posts: 631   +14

just install a fresh copy of windows xp and then u can find all the drivers u need on the web...and those that u woant find i might have...i have some dells here at home to...
  3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,712

Thanks DjKraid - I was told on another forum how to access the restore function on Dell machines since 2004 - Ctrl button + F11 - there was a ghost on one of the partitions.
    thanks for your help
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

5. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,712

Hi Kimsland - thanks for that! I don't get many Dells in here which is why I had to ask for help!
    All sorted now and the machine has gone back. Discovered the BSoDs were caused by the IPoD software,,,,,,,
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.