Failed overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

napalm787

I will start by posting my system specs.

Mobo: Asus A8N32-SLi deluxe

Processor: AMD Athlon x2 3800+ (2.0ghz stock)

Memory: 2gb DDR

HDD: 300gb maxtor

Video: evga 7900gs

I overclocked my processor from a stock ghz of 2.0 to 2.4ghz. It ran smoothly for several months. The other day i was just on the internet when my computer randomly restarted. It restarted fine but then it came up with the blue screen of death and a big memory error, so i tried to restart again. When i did that it gave me a failed overclock screen. So i turned the computer off and tried to boot it up again, thinking it just got to hot. When i tried to boot it up this time it didnt even recognize the moniter, keyboard, and mouse. I tried to reset the CMOS, but being a noob, i may have messed something up. i was playing around with the jumper to see if it would do anything. i also tried taking the battery out for a few minutes. Still, i have the same problem. The moniter wont turn on, the keyboard, or the mouse. Is there a simple fix to this?

I also have the same model processor in an older computer that i don't use, would it help to just use that?

Thank you for taking the time to read this..

-napalm

If you're certain you've reset the BIOS properly and your FSB is no longer overclocked, I'd guess that something has failed, and given the initial error you were given, I'd start with the RAM. Yank the RAM out of your PC, and try a known working module.

im not too certain ive reset it properly, but i did take one stick out earlier and i was able to get into the bios for a short time before it restarted and i had the same problem with the moniter, keys, and mouse.

If you had partial success with removing a module earlier, I would try again with all of the old RAM removed, try a known working module. You may have caused damage to the RAM by overclocking the FSB. If that doesn't work, I would probably start looking at motherboard failure.

If you're going to run with the assumption that it may be motherboard failure, try a new or known working motherboard...

no, im just saying if i put in a new module, and it loads up but the processor is still overclocked, do i have to change it in the bios?

I'd probably run it at stock for a day to make sure all was well. If you feel the new RAM can handle the overclock a bit better, go for it.

Update: I was just able to boot my computer up using a good ram stick, i was able to reset my cmos and boot into windows. Seems my problem may be solved! :)

I'll post here if i have any further issues.

;) Good news. Make sure your RAM can handle the increased stress, or be sure to alter the RAM:FSB ratio in the BIOS in the future.

It should be fine. it automatically loaded all defaults in BIOS. I'll check to make sure everythings fine. Thanks a bunch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back