Failed PCI-E slot?

Trillionsin

I have a M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 motherboard. I have an ATI video card in the first slot when I power the PC the monitor does not detect a source and will not come out of sleep mode. The fans seem to go up to 100% power, and become very loud very quickly. However, when I put the video card in the 2nd PCI-E slot, I get video and windows boots up and everything works as it should, normal operations, no BSODs, no random shut downs, performance is good and as expected.

Is it possible for a single PCI-E slot to go bad? What could be the possible cause and if it repairable?

In short yes it is, I have run across many motherboards where PCI-E slots have either gone bad over time or come in bad. As for reparability that is up to the manufacturer and their warranty. Beyond that I would suggest if its not under warranty to just use the lower slot and run with it until you are ready to replace the motherboard.

That sounds like the problem, I would suggest trying to test the GPU in the top slot by seeing if you can get it to fit it in nicer or snug to make sure it receives a solid connection.

I was actually hoping to sell the PC altogether. This could pose a potential problem in selling it. I'd just have to sell all the parts individually now, or replace the board and then sell it. Or sell it to someone who I know wont try to mess with any of the hardware.

I've tested everything I can think of, different PSU's, different video cards, completely removing the MB from the case and doing all this again in the open.

Probably just failed, it happens sadly. Had a core 2 duo board brought to me recently that had the problem where the video card stopped outputting and it would give a video beep error no matter what video card was inserted.

If one of the PCI-E still works, I would just sell it with that in the message of being that one PCI-E does not works.

Back