Failed PCI-E slot?

By Trillionsin
May 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 motherboard. I have an ATI video card in the first slot when I power the PC the monitor does not detect a source and will not come out of sleep mode. The fans seem to go up to 100% power, and become very loud very quickly. However, when I put the video card in the 2nd PCI-E slot, I get video and windows boots up and everything works as it should, normal operations, no BSODs, no random shut downs, performance is good and as expected.

Is it possible for a single PCI-E slot to go bad? What could be the possible cause and if it repairable?
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

In short yes it is, I have run across many motherboards where PCI-E slots have either gone bad over time or come in bad. As for reparability that is up to the manufacturer and their warranty. Beyond that I would suggest if its not under warranty to just use the lower slot and run with it until you are ready to replace the motherboard.

That sounds like the problem, I would suggest trying to test the GPU in the top slot by seeing if you can get it to fit it in nicer or snug to make sure it receives a solid connection.
  3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,267   +101

I was actually hoping to sell the PC altogether. This could pose a potential problem in selling it. I'd just have to sell all the parts individually now, or replace the board and then sell it. Or sell it to someone who I know wont try to mess with any of the hardware.

I've tested everything I can think of, different PSU's, different video cards, completely removing the MB from the case and doing all this again in the open.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Probably just failed, it happens sadly. Had a core 2 duo board brought to me recently that had the problem where the video card stopped outputting and it would give a video beep error no matter what video card was inserted.

If one of the PCI-E still works, I would just sell it with that in the message of being that one PCI-E does not works.