Failed to connect to a Windows Service

Hi There,

I'm having alot of issues with my laptop!

I was using my computer yesterday when it froze while using msn. I went to reboot and it was extremely slow, I typed in my password for my username and it sent me to a black screen for about 3-5mins, then slowly started up.

Upon startup I got a message: "Failed to connect to a windows service: Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrator user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

After i closed that box I got a Wi-Fi catcher network locator message reading :" Your wi-fi catcher band configuration is not compatible with your WLAN card band configuration. Select YES to automatically change your wi-fi configuration, or NO to keep your current configuration".

When i scroll over my wireless icon on my toolbar it says connection status:unknown. The dependancy service or group failed to start..

...Not quite sure what happened but i'm using windows vista, Please help!

Thank you!

Most importantly, we need your brand, model, age, and configuration... sounds like a hard drive failure or other a component failure... you will likely need to replace something, but we need more info.

Eeek!

I've got a dell, Inspiron 1525. purchased in 2006.

32-Bit operating system

Intel(r) core(tm)2 Duo Cpu t5550@ 1.83ghz 3.00gb

Running Windows Vista-home premium.

Hopefully that helps?

"Failed to connect to a windows service: Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrator user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."
Using an Admin login,
meaning boot into SAFE MODE tapping F8 and then
  • right-click My Computer
  • click Manage
  • click Services and Applications->Services
  • scroll to Com+Event System
  • set startup type to AUTOMATIC
  • click START

Then use a command prompt and enter
NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG

Back