TechSpot

Failing sound when computer boots

By sgonzales
May 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all,

I've been having trouble with my computer for a while now. It will boot up thru bios but right after the Win XP loading screen it goes black and freezes. It makes a noise, sounds like the hard drive. Its almost like a failing noise, maybe has something to do with the power supply. thats what I had first thought until somebody mentioned it might be the mobo failing. Then when I restart it it makes the same noise, only this time alot sooner.

I've went thru three hard drives iirc, all Western Digital. That was when I thought the hd was the problem. Each one had the same problem after a certain amount of time.

Could it be lack of cooling? I dont have sufficient cooling in there, I only have about two small fans.

Heres my specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2100+
    SOYO KT400 Black Edition
    512MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Video Card
    Award Bios not sure of version, I upgraded it about five months ago to the newest version but cant say offfhand

I'm not sure of the power supply wattage, though I figure around 350.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.