TechSpot

Failure to Boot from USB Flash Drive

By JoshuaGenubath
Apr 10, 2009
  1. I have a Biostar GeForce6100-M9 motherboard. I am trying to boot my PC from a USB flash drive (aka pen drive, thumb drive, etc...). In every instance, the BIOS recognizes the USB drive, I set the boot order to boot off the drive, and it will hang at "Verifying DMI Pool Data..."

I have tried this with three different devices:

-SanDisk U3 Cruzer Mico 2GB*
    -SanDisk Shoot&Store Memory Card 128MB
    -PNY Attache 4GB

*Obviously, the U3 system was not installed on the drive at the time, since I refformatted the drive while making it bootable.

I have also tried numerous methods and programs while making it bootable (including HP Drive Key Bott Util. and PE2USB)

I have tried booting WinXp from all three drives,
    and I have installed versions of DOS, NTFS4DOS, and BartPE on them.

I get the same problem every time, since I know that at the least, it is possible to boot from the PNY drive, I also know that both the programs mentioned above (HP Drive Key Boot Util. and PE2USB) work. This rules out the possibility that I made a mistake when making one the drives bootable.

Also, I have updated the BIOS, to no avail, I still get thesame results.

Concerning the motherboard, I have read in reviews that people could not get this particular model to boot from USB, but I figure it should be possible.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

"I have read in reviews that people could not get this particular model to boot from USB, but I figure it should be possible"...

You might have already proved that this statement is not true

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

4. JoshuaGenubath

JoshuaGenubath TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you for replying, I have extenisivly searched this on google, andi had seen that site before.

Understandably, a UFD left plugged in would cause this problem, unless of course it was formatted to be bootable.

A similiar thing will usually happen when floppy disk or CDs are left in.

In my case however, the UFD is properly formatted, so it should not hang.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.