Failure to Boot from USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Biostar GeForce6100-M9 motherboard. I am trying to boot my PC from a USB flash drive (aka pen drive, thumb drive, etc...). In every instance, the BIOS recognizes the USB drive, I set the boot order to boot off the drive, and it will hang at "Verifying DMI Pool Data..."

I have tried this with three different devices:

-SanDisk U3 Cruzer Mico 2GB*
-SanDisk Shoot&Store Memory Card 128MB
-PNY Attache 4GB

*Obviously, the U3 system was not installed on the drive at the time, since I refformatted the drive while making it bootable.

I have also tried numerous methods and programs while making it bootable (including HP Drive Key Bott Util. and PE2USB)

I have tried booting WinXp from all three drives,
and I have installed versions of DOS, NTFS4DOS, and BartPE on them.

I get the same problem every time, since I know that at the least, it is possible to boot from the PNY drive, I also know that both the programs mentioned above (HP Drive Key Boot Util. and PE2USB) work. This rules out the possibility that I made a mistake when making one the drives bootable.

Also, I have updated the BIOS, to no avail, I still get thesame results.

Concerning the motherboard, I have read in reviews that people could not get this particular model to boot from USB, but I figure it should be possible.

"I have read in reviews that people could not get this particular model to boot from USB, but I figure it should be possible"...

You might have already proved that this statement is not true

thank you for replying, I have extenisivly searched this on google, andi had seen that site before.

Understandably, a UFD left plugged in would cause this problem, unless of course it was formatted to be bootable.

A similiar thing will usually happen when floppy disk or CDs are left in.

In my case however, the UFD is properly formatted, so it should not hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back