Failure To Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. My name is Mike and I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit on the dp45sg motherboard, with eight gigs of ram. Sweet ride, I know. This is also my first time here. Hello everyone. Now to get down to the bread and butter.

I keep getting a failure to boot message when trying to start up my computer normally. I can boot just fine by pressing f-10 and going into the boot menu, but I want my computer to run normally, without little problems like this.

It all started after I attempted to download what I thought was kind freeware. But I later found an infected file called "OneStepSrch". Every trace of the damn thing seems gone from my computer, but I'm still encountering the boot problems. Tried mbrfix, no dice. Looking for help here.

Also, I did try and repair my system, the repair said it didn't find any problems. Also ran a memory test that said everything was peachy-keen.

Please and thank you for input. Hugs and kisses.

Well Mike, I'll welcome you. But instead of hugs and kisses, I rather see some patience! You are not the only person here with a problem and there are way more problems that 'fixers'!

And hey, "you know what", how about looking for some information to help in the troubleshooting? Chances are good that you still have entries for the malware, so I suggest you follow this and then attach all three logs:

https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Since you have done a repair to the system, depending on the depth of the repair, we are still going to have to find or rule out malware.

I've never met anyone with 8GB of RAM before, so 'hello'! You have, of course, checked to make sure your system can handle that much RAM.

I'm not big on 'peachy-keen' either. Again, patience will get you further.

Oh yeah. The mother board and the OS, which i bought specifically to load up the motherboard will support it. It's very nice. *drool* Also, kind of costly. Most guys in highschool dumped cash into their cars and sound systems. I dumped it into my PC. ;P

I'd like to thank you for the guide, and I'll follow those steps ASAP. Appreciate the courtesy as opposed to blowing up on me for bumping the topic. I'm not sure what will turn up, as the OS is pretty new. And all of my virus scanners checked out a clean machine. But hey, some of this stuff couldn't hurt. I was just using clamwin, anywho. That and spybot.

Mike, if you want help on this, please go through https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

When through,attach all three logs.

These programs can catch malware that has slipped through your resident programs and also help clean it from the system. They will also show me what is running and what has been found, possibly leading to entries that need removal.

Since you choose the avenue of a computer as a good investment, let's make sure it's clean and running as it should be>> kind of like 'return on your investment'!

By the way, since you run Spybot Search and Destroy, make sure you temporarily disable the Real Time TeaTimer before you run the scans:
* Launch Spybot S&D, go to the Mode menu and make sure "Advanced Mode" is selected.
* On the left hand side, click on Tools, then click on the Resident Icon in the list.
* Uncheck the "Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of overall system settings) active." box.
* Click on the "System Startup" icon in the List
* Uncheck the "TeaTimer" box and "OK" any prompts.
* If Teatimer gives you a warning that changes were made, click the "Allow Change" box when prompted.
* Exit Spybot S&D when done.
* (When we are done, you can re-enable Teatimer using the same steps but this time place a check next to "Resident TeaTimer" and check the "TeaTimer" box in System Startup.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back