Fairfax's $4.7 billion acquisition of BlackBerry is off the table, CEO Thorsten Heins steps down

By Shawn Knight
Nov 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Fairfax Financial Holdings’ $4.7 billion deal to purchase struggling handset maker BlackBerry is off the table today. What’s more, BlackBerry chief Thorsten Heins has stepped down and is being replaced by interim CEO John Chen.

Read more
  2. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Addict Posts: 331   +99

As I understand it Thorsten walks away with a $54-ish million dollar bonus upon leaving.. yeah, he's really upset, I bet we can see him crying all the way to the bank.
  3. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Google should snap them up for the patents (to get a stake in the Nortel portfolio) and roll all other stuff into Motorola, having them coordinate.

The question is, would they be blocked as a Monopoly in the market? Perhaps not since Apple still holds a large profitable stake, and Microsoft is seeing growth.

What do you think?
  4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

In his defense, it is a lot to carry out the bank.
    ikesmasher likes this.
  5. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

I don't know whether the Nortel you're referring to is the one that I found which was already bankrupt... while RIM is already a sinking itself... added that the Motorola purchase was already viewed as a huge mistake.

Sure, Google could easily throw in the money but it just doesn't make sense, patents or not.
    If a company really has these super awesome patents... shouldn't they be licensing it out as their primary business model instead of making stuff with it and going out of business...