Inactive Fake Adobe Reader Updater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm new here and certainly not a technical expert. But I have a problem:

For quite a while I have a fake Adobe Reader Updater running on my laptop: Every time I boot or open a PDF file it pops up and asks me to install the Adobe Reader Update which " solves user made comments on security leaks and other issue"s, after installing the system has to be rebooted".

Last week I had a complete re-install of my laptop. Before that my provider ran the "update" and it certainly was trojan with all kinds of pop ups etc. But as said, the hard disk was formatted, XP re-installed and back up data wereput back on the system....

To my own amazement the thing just pops up again after the first boot of the system. Meaning that it either "sits" in the back up data or somewhere resident in the system memory or something.

As long as I don't install the thing there is no problem, but I would really like to get it out of the system.

I ran all kinds of malware finders like Malwarebytes, Spybot, AVG online scan.... no result..

So..is there anyone who knows about this problem and who has a solution?

Welcome to TechSpot. Since we're not sure what's going on, I'd like you to do these preliminary scans:

Please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, paste the logs for review in your next reply .

This will give me some idea of what's on the system. A reformat/reinstall should have removed malware. But if any of the files you put back on the system were infected, they could have reinfected the system.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back