Fallout 3 processor upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this to the CPU board, but maybe I should have posted here.

I checked my computer against the minimum specifications to play Fallout 3 and the one thing that falls short is my processor speed. My AMD Athlon 64 is 2.01 GHz, where 2.4 is minimum. Newegg has one that may fit my needs: Athlon 64 LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor, for $39.99. Would that be compatible with my NVIDIA nForce4 (rev 3) mobo and is it easy to upgrade? I've done a lot of basic upgrading things, like last week I replaced the LED screen on my Toshiba laptop, but I've never replaced a processor.

I see Bethesda recommends a dual core processor over the minimum 2.4GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent processor, but that would mean upgrading the mobo too, since I don't think my mobo supports dual core. Also, they recommend 2GB of RAM, so I should probably add another 1GB. My 2 Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS cards look to be supported for the game.

I had been thinking about starting from scratch and building a gaming computer, but I am considering just upgrading this one. Has anyone had a good experience playing FO3 using a single-core processor? Any suggestions? Thanks.

The nForce4 chipsets supports all Athlon 64 CPUs, including dual-core ones AFAIK. CPU compatibility varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, so check the CPU Support\CPU Compatibility list for your specific motherboard model on your manufacturer's website. For you, I'd recommend the X2 5000+ as an excellent CPU for only $20 more than the LE-1640, which basically means you'd be paying $20 extra for an extra core, which is a fantastic bargain IMO.

And yes, the CPU is very easy to upgrade. Just replace the old one with the new one and you're done. There are a lot of guides and videos on YouTube and the like which can help you with the actual installation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back