Fallout 4 patch 1.2 arrives on Steam, breaks mod support

midian182

Staff member

Good news for Fallout 4 fans: the latest official patch for the game has arrived on Steam, bringing with it a couple of new features and several fixes. But it’s not such good news for those who have been modding the game, as the 1.2 patch breaks support for mods.

The patch adds a new launcher that disables mods on startup, and using the .INI edit that previously got round this issue no longer works. It’s still not clear whether Bethesda intentionally removed mod support or if it was just a mistake.

A user on the Nexus Mods forum has published a way to bypass the problem, but it’s not the simplest of processes. First of all, you’ll need to have the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) installed; you'll need to launch NMM, then launch Fallout 4, then switch back to NMM and re-enable the mods.

There’s also a version of the Fallout 4 script extender that works with the latest patch, but that also requires jumping through several hoops to get it working, and it needs the Nexus Mod Manager to function.

There are several other workarounds that involve altering the game’s filenames or making the plugins.txt file read-only, and these still require the use of the Nexus Mod Manager.

Bethesda has a history of supporting mods and the modding community, and people are debating whether the patch intentionally made it more difficult to modify the game. Some say Bethesda did this on purpose in an attempt to encourage people to wait until it releases its own official mod workshop, while others say it’s simply a bug.

For those who don’t use/care about mods, here is the full list of changes the 1.2 patch makes:

New Features

• Number pad keys can now be used for remapping (PC)
  • Remapping Activate now works on Quick Container (PC)

Fixes

• General memory and stability improvements
  • Performance improvements inside the Corvega Assembly Plant
  • Optimizations to skinned decal rendering
  • Fixed issue with player becoming stuck in terminals
  • Fixed issue where equipped weapons become locked after completing Reunions
  • Fixed issue with "When Freedom Calls" where the quest would not complete
  • During "Confidence Man" fixed issue where player's health would continuously regenerate
  • Fixed crash related to jumping into water and reloading saved games
  • Fixed issue where Launcher would not save God Rays Quality setting properly (PC)

Permalink to story.

On the one hand, this seems like Bethesda just goofing up like Bethesda do, but on the other hand, the option to load custom .ESP files was hidden on the FO4 launcher whereas it was there from the start with Skyrim.

Yea, Bethesda intentionally disabled mod support after vowing to start supporting it on console (xbox.) /s

Bethesda seems determined to commit suicide. For nearly two decades they've released some of the most interesting, deep and incredibly buggy games in the industry. The modding community is their only saving grace and yet they seem determined to spit in the face of that community.

And that support still hasn't arrived, has it? And when it does you can bet they'll be monetizing it.
http://www.inquisitr.com/2554623/fa...ll-mods-via-a-streamlined-one-click-download/
if you have some gripe with that site, find the same article anywhere else- thats the first one I clicked on. TLDR: theyre working on it. its never been done before...

fallout 4 EULA on steam says “Customized Game Materials must be distributed solely for free,”

I don't have any reason to believe so far that they would go back on their word or start charging for mods. After the whole skyrim-steam-mod thing theyd realize theyd destroy their reputation real fast.

Fixed issue with player becoming stuck in terminals
And everyone told me they couldn't fix this as it's a fundamental issue with the game engine.
Thanks Bethesda! I can take the framerate cap off the game now :)

Just need AMD to work to support crossfire with it. Sucks playing on one 7970Ghz instead of two at 2560x1440 :S

http://www.inquisitr.com/2554623/fa...ll-mods-via-a-streamlined-one-click-download/
if you have some gripe with that site, find the same article anywhere else- thats the first one I clicked on. TLDR: theyre working on it. its never been done before...

fallout 4 EULA on steam says “Customized Game Materials must be distributed solely for free,”

I don't have any reason to believe so far that they would go back on their word or start charging for mods. After the whole skyrim-steam-mod thing theyd realize theyd destroy their reputation real fast.
Honestly, I'd expect them to try it again eventually, probably sooner with some mods bring carried over to console. A lot of console only players only know monetization anyways, so it's nothing new for them unfortunately.

And regardless of what they do, they'll have a huge fan following regardless of any backlash.

I've grown pessimistic of large companies in today's world.

This is one tiny list, especially when you know they have so much to get done. I would say this was intentional but were're talking about Bethesda here. These are the guys that forgot to click the "SSE" optimization checkbox in their compiler for skyrim. It's pretty bad that modders found this out and implemented it themselves before Bethesda caught on.

All of have to say is that fallout 4 better be their last game on the Gamebryo engine. No one's going to looking at their buggy broken junk when games like the witcher 4 and cyberpunk 2077 are going to be coming out with no loading screens and who knows what else on top of their current engine.

Yea, Bethesda intentionally disabled mod support after vowing to start supporting it on console (xbox.) /s

And that support still hasn't arrived, has it? And when it does you can bet they'll be monetizing it.

And it likely won't until the Creation Kit is released. People are just band-aiding mods together right now with the limited toolsets they have adapted from Skyrim.

This is one tiny list, especially when you know they have so much to get done. I would say this was intentional but were're talking about Bethesda here. These are the guys that forgot to click the "SSE" optimization checkbox in their compiler for skyrim. It's pretty bad that modders found this out and implemented it themselves before Bethesda caught on.

All of have to say is that fallout 4 better be their last game on the Gamebryo engine. No one's going to looking at their buggy broken junk when games like the witcher 4 and cyberpunk 2077 are going to be coming out with no loading screens and who knows what else on top of their current engine.
I've found the Unofficial Patches from the modding community to be far more worthwhile, although those usually tend to come out near the EoL of the product's support. As much as I love the mods, when you think about it, it really is a sad state when a considerable amount of them are needed to fix many things, or to add stuff that should've been in place to begin with because of Bethesda's incompetence/dedication.

And I'm assuming they'll try to launch this next major game, likely Elder Scrolls, before the end of the current console generation (which is expected to be shorter compared to last). So that means if they don't bother working on something new now, I'd bet they'll pull an Ubisoft/Activision and just keep plastering the turd over for years to come.

Back