Fallout 4's 58 GB high-resolution texture pack is now available

Scorpus

Staff member

Fallout 4's mammoth high-resolution texture pack is now available to download through Steam as a free add-on. Provided you already own a copy of Fallout 4, you simply need to head to the Steam Store page for the texture pack and click install to add it to the game.

There are some things to note. Firstly, installing the high-resolution texture pack requires 58 GB of storage space on top of the 27 GB used by the base game (35 GB with the six expansions installed). Secondly, Bethesda lists the minimum system requirements as an Intel Core i7-5820HK processor, 8 GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card.

According to most who have tried out the high-res texture pack, you don't actually need such a beefy CPU or graphics card to smoothly run the upgraded textures. VRAM usage tends to fluctuate from 4 to 6 GB depending on your resolution with the texture pack enabled, an increase of a few GB on the original game.

Also, it's probably not worth downloading 58 GB of textures for Fallout 4 if you don't have a high-resolution monitor. The texture pack adds essentially no visual improvements for those with a 1080p monitor, and the difference is small at best on a 1440p display. On a 4K display you should notice increased sharpness and added detail across all objects and scenery in the Boston area.

Permalink to story.

Been playing it for a day and I would say it's a welcome addition, but I am disappointed they did not make a few more important "tweaks" that would vastly improve game play. I've seen them elsewhere so they are no secret .... but as the old saying goes about putting lipstick on a pig. The game is no pig, but just adding window dressing doesn't make it a better game, just a prettier game .... hmmmmm, sort of sounds like our new White House, eh?

I personally think that the "but you need a 4k" talk is bollocks because you can see the bad quality low res textures here and there already in steam even lower res screenshots of the game. So how exactly you need 4k to see any improvement?

Been playing it for a day and I would say it's a welcome addition, but I am disappointed they did not make a few more important "tweaks" that would vastly improve game play. I've seen them elsewhere so they are no secret .... but as the old saying goes about putting lipstick on a pig. The game is no pig, but just adding window dressing doesn't make it a better game, just a prettier game .... hmmmmm, sort of sounds like our new White House, eh?

so Trump makes your White House prettier? :D mayhaps.

It's a FREE addon... expecting gameplay additions to a game that won a few game of the year awards already seems a bit unrealistic... I'll be checking it out soon I suppose :)

I can finally enjoy the game in a 1080p medium settings, so I will stick with the standard textures (which are already very un-optimized for how they look), but Fallout 4 is a game I will be playing for another 2-3 years so down the roads it will be appreciated.

Back