TechSpot

Fallout: New Vegas PC crashes

1. Ok, new guy here.
    I was searching around for help around the interent because I don't feel like paying someone to have tell me I have to pay for some Anti-Virus tool. So here's my issue:
    I'm a frequent player of Fallout: New Vegas by Bethesda. I've recently started playing this game on my PC. But for some reason, while I'm playing, about maybe a half hour in, it would crash my whole motherboard. Nothing else. Just my motherboard. I uninstalled Fallout and reinstalled it. Then it began crashing about 10 minutes into the game. So, I thought that perhaps it was overheating because the fan felt pretty warm, so I got one of my cooling fans and put it behind it. It cooled down but still crashed at the same rate. I've gotten to the point where I can't take it.:evil: I assume that maybe my computer simply can't handle such a large file. I've downed the graphics quality and minimized the screen down. No help. Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name INDIGO-PC
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Model Inspiron 537s
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 2603 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 7/23/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    User Name indigo-PC\indigo
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.97 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.55 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.93 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.95 GB
    Page File Space 3.97 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

How did you determine your motherboard is the problem? Your statement that the motherboard crashed doesn't make sense to me. Try uninstalling your old graphics driver through Programs and Features and install the latest version.

What graphics card do you have? Does it meet the minimum requirements for the game?

3. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

Yea if you "crash" a motherboard (which is tied to everything else in the computer) that is basically a full system crash. the motherboard contains many different devices and they all need drivers. So, you should download and install the latest chipset drivers for the board and then try updating the graphics drivers as mp suggested. Which AV software are you using and have you installed any updates for the game?

As a side note though, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are notorious PC crashers, and in some cases certain hardware will just cause problems over and over. You may be better off posting the problem on the game's official web board or game-specific forum. Sometimes other users who experience similar issues have found a work-around or find tweaks to correct or increase the stability of the game.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.