Fan broken on my video card

By GNS1310
Jun 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, not broken, just real loud, annoying, and sometimes it just stops. I have plenty of airflow in the case, just wondering how unsafe this is...will my video card overheat? I've been looking for new cards, I want a tv card as well...I have the cable next to the computer waiting to be plugged in!
    I also am looking at other monitors. I think I'm picking up a Samsung 2493HM 24"
    Any suggestions on video cards/tv cards and/or monitors???
    I dont have a PCIE slot...that I can see...so I think I have to stick to an AGP video card and a PCI tv card? I'd also like to hook up my old monitor and my new monitor to the same card and have both going at once. HELP!!
    I have pics of the inside and back of my tower...cant post them because I'm a 2-post newbie hehe
  2. GNS1310

GNS1310 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 123

I have the tower open and the fan disconnected from the card...nice and quiet now, but is it safe?
  3. Ollie30001

Ollie30001 Newcomer, in training Posts: 170

well no its not a good idea to unplug the fan.

first off, what card is it?
  4. GNS1310

I'm pretty sure its a Radeon 9550..bought it years ago.
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,390   +205

Yes, disconnecting the fan to get rid of the fan noise is a poor solution. Soon the card will be dead, but still quiet.
  6. GNS1310

Here's a few pics
    INSIDE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BACK:
    [​IMG]
    Here are the details:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. mailpup

Any budget for a replacement card? What country are you in?
  8. GNS1310

USA
    I was planning on spending $500 on a monitor (Samsung 2493HM 24"), maybe another $100-200 on each card. I saw a tv card for around $80 (Hauppauge) and video cards looked to be around $100. I'd certainly like to get the best that I can get. Thanks for the help!
  9. drawz

drawz Newcomer, in training Posts: 31

Yea u should spend a little less on the monitor and spend about 100 bucks on a new video card... 8600's are around 80-100 bucks each
  10. GNS1310

I just took the card out and unscrewed the fan and gave it a solid cleaning. Its quiet for now...
    The monitor is paid for (a gift) and I might sell the old one (Samsung 710T 17" for a couple hundred, thats the money going towards the cards.
  11. drawz

can u post a pic of your video card slot with the card out?

12. drawz

13. mailpup

Perhaps something in the Radeon 2600 series: Click here.
  14. GNS1310

Yep, It'll be up in a few minutes. Its an AGP slot. I think that I need the best AGP card I can get, then a decent PCI tv card...right?
  15. GNS1310

Not a great pic from my camera phone (digital cam was stolen a few months ago grrr)
    [​IMG]
    Top brown (barely visable) slot is where the card was.
  16. GNS1310

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.