Fan Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DS_Flare

I was wondering how I could test my fans. I want to test them one by one to see which one is the loudest but I do not want to tear them out of my computer since some of them are in tricky locations. So is there any way to run the Power Supply, and only the fan that I desire? Im getting sick of the noise, I can hear it from upstairs and that bugs me.

Any help would be great, thanks :D

you could try stopping one as it runs, for a second. with your finger or something safer that is insulated. its the quickest way to find out, but wait to hear from another user they may have a better idea

hmm, i may have to try that. that wont mess anything up right, like make a fan explode on me or something absurd right? thanks :D

OK. I just tested 3 of them. None of my case fans are the problem, it may just be my P4 thats making the noise. I might just look for a case that holds the noise in a bit more.

All the fans have power cords with connectors going to them, you can just pull the connection apart.

Also you can buy a new heatsink fan, or heatsink and fan combo for your processor that will quiet things down.

SNGX1275 said:
All the fans have power cords with connectors going to them, you can just pull the connection apart.

Be careful doing that, it is somehow possible to short it out that way.

Shouldn't be, molex can't short when pulling it apart, and the only other fan connection I know of is 2-3 pins on the motherboard and a plastic connector fitting over them, pulling the wire off that can't short either. I could maybe see putting them back together for the pins on the motherboard, but with modern boards you shouldn't be able to put it on any way except the correct way, at worst case you put it on backwards and the fan spins the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back