Faraday Future unveils its first consumer electric vehicle at CES 2017

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Faraday Future made good on its promise of showcasing its first consumer electric vehicle, dubbed the FF 91, at CES 2017 Tuesday evening.

As Jalopnik reports, the Faraday Future FF 91 boasts a whopping 1,050 horsepower that propels the limo-esque SUV from 0-60 mph in 2.39 seconds with a range of 378 miles on a single charge. That’s faster to 60 than any commercial vehicle on the road today.

Faraday Future if you recall last month posted teaser clips of its vehicle racing off the line against a Bentley, Ferrari and a Tesla Model X. As part of its flashy unveiling, the company had those three vehicles accelerate live in front of the crowd – one at a time, mind you – in addition to a Model S P100D.

The pre-production prototype is outfitted with 10 front and rear-facing cameras, more than a dozen short and long-range radars, 12 ultrasonic sensors and a high-def 3D LiDAR system that pops out of the “hood.”

Another interesting aspect of the FF 91 is the fact that it’s keyless in every sense of the word. There are no door handles or side mirrors; instead, you get wireless entry via Bluetooth / facial recognition and cameras for mirrors.

I would encourage anyone interested in the Faraday Future FF 91 to check out the company’s reveal video embedded above as there’s way more discussed there than we have time for here today. What the company showcased is no doubt impressive and I genuinely hope they're able to deliver on the many promises made at CES 2017.

Those willing to take a gamble with Faraday Future and its FF 91 can register on the company’s website and place a $5,000 refundable deposit towards the eventual purchase of the vehicle. Faraday Future didn’t reveal how much the vehicle will ultimately cost but it did say that production is expected to begin sometime in 2018.

Permalink to story.

That's faster to 60 than any commercial vehicle on the road today.
What do you call a commercial vehicle here? :) By definition those are all vehicles for non-personal use. Surely you meant something else ;)

Somehow I doubt the side-mirror-less design is gonna fly.

I'm Just gonna invest in the stock when they offer the iPO

That's faster to 60 than any commercial vehicle on the road today.
What do you call a commercial vehicle here? :) By definition those are all vehicles for non-personal use. Surely you meant something else ;)

And ironically - you can't buy a Faraday Future right now either - so it's also not a commercial vehicle. And they made them accelerate 1 at a time? No race? C'mon....

Good luck, Faraday. People are used to everything on their cars working 100% of the time. There's so much fancy tech in this thing, I can't imagine they won't have some issues. And people who spend $150,000 on this thing wont' be happy when there's no one available to fix their side mirror camera.

Looks pretty cool - but too much like a spaceship. One reason Tesla is popular because it looks like a nice car - not like someone is trying to make a statement about the future.

I'm glad that more EV companies are understanding that building 2-door coupes isn't going to make the volume sales they need. The smart thing to do is build a 4-door sedan and a 4-door crossover to start.

It doesn't necessarily have to be blazing fast, but even the base models over at Tesla feel quick enough due to the instant-torque of electric motors.

The biggest issues are cost, practicality and range. Thus far, the crossover seems to be the best answer because crossovers trade length for vertical height - allowing people to carry more passengers and cargo.

300 Miles would be a perfect target for range. Most people don't drive more than 200 without stopping for a break. Only now, that break requires at least an hour to recharge to another 300 miles.

Personally, I prefer the lower cost and TIME efficiency of I.C.E.

About the no key/fob. Fine - sounds great... but not really. The fob on my cars is already enough to get in/start without hassle and I have an App for my Volvo that does it all too (in-case I lost the fob), but the fob offers a lot of 'at-hand' tools that keep me from having to work through the app.

Compare the following workflows:
Unlock phone > start app > enter security code/fingerprint > menu > vehicle > open trunk
Take out fob > press button

The fob has lived for this long for a reason. It's just easier to have a button for something sometimes.

About the no key/fob. Fine - sounds great... but not really. The fob on my cars is already enough to get in/start without hassle and I have an App for my Volvo that does it all too (in-case I lost the fob), but the fob offers a lot of 'at-hand' tools that keep me from having to work through the app.

Compare the following workflows:
Unlock phone > start app > enter security code/fingerprint > menu > vehicle > open trunk
Take out fob > press button

The fob has lived for this long for a reason. It's just easier to have a button for something sometimes.
Not too mention that they may do something stupid like implement weak, if any, security.

I have to wonder if you do put your foot to the floor on this thing just how quickly that will drain the battery with 1,000 + hp available. In watts, that is over 745 kW assuming that all that horsepower is available instantly - which it should be. Once anything is moving, all the energy it takes to keep it moving is the energy needed to overcome the losses int he system like friction.

Even if they do come through with their promises, the car will likely be only a high-end product. Maybe someday, we will get an EV that is targeted to the lower end market. Still, I am disappointed no one, at least that I know of anyway, is engaging in commercializing the more recent battery technologies.

Reaction after watching the video: meh.

They have a lot of attention grabbing jargon like "the car learns as you drive!" and "no keys!" and "self parking!" and 'oh my gawd look horsepower!' but nothing new, nothing of substance, and a lot of hype.

I think everything they listed other car manufacturers are already doing or have in the pipeline. "learning cars" have been around a long time (heck, even my 2011 Ford adjusts the transmission shift times based on the way you drive and has a connected key). Tesla has self-parking coming out now. 0-60/Horsepower is already plenty on even base Tesla cars (unless you really feel like a good whiplash is just what you need to wake up in the morning).

I hope FF succeeds because more competition will promote new innovations, but with everything they've promised and the supposed price tag starting at $150,000 I think that they may be in debt for a long time paying for their fancy factory. Trying to start too big and too fast instead of starting small and working up.

The best part was the ambient music whenever the car was on stage (58:45 for example) was straight out of Mass Effect!

Back