Fast and Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lehsstudent

ok now here is question we must all ask at one point. what is the fastest combanation of procsor and mobo? how cheap can i get it? ok here is the challenge what is the fastest combo you can get for under $200?
i realy have no clue.
what i would like to get is a cpu;
3.4 ghz
dual core
+2000mhz fsb
64 bit
2megs cache

the mobo would have room for anything i could ever want...

Yeah well for $200 dollars you can buy a Pentium III used off Ebay. $200 isn't much for building a fast computer. A fast computer would go from a price range of at least $500-$5000. You cannot do much with $200 in terms of buying a good PC. A CPU dual core at 3.4 GHz is about $250 off Ebay brand new. So Used would be like $150; that is if you are lucky to find it for that price. BTW how old are you?? I'm 15

I agree with NFSFAN. Also, just because a CPU is 3.4GHz that alone doesn't mean it's fast. Core 2 Duo E6300 @1.86GHz is probably faster. And, there is no such thing as a 2000MHz FSB. Athlon 64s have a 2000MHz HyperTransport Bus, but that is nothing like FSB. The highest true FSBs are 1066MHz (I believe), and those are on Core 2s. The fastest combination of Processor and Mobo is probably a Core 2 X6800 and some ASUS Mobo. That would run you about $1000.

lehsstudent said:
ok now here is question we must all ask at one point. what is the fastest combanation of procsor and mobo? how cheap can i get it? ok here is the challenge what is the fastest combo you can get for under $200?
i realy have no clue.
3.4 ghz
dual core
+2000mhz fsb
64 bit
2megs cache

A 2.0GHz Dual-Core Processor would kick the s***t out of a 3.4GHz Single core, so speed is not really a factor in a dual core system. 3.4GHz in a dual-core cpu would probably be equivalent to a 5.0-5.5GHz single core processor in terms of power; and you'll pay the price for it. A 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo is what I would suggest for you (can't think of the model #'s right now).

The E6300 is a very cheap processor for it's performance and blazing fast when OC'd, which can be done on stock cooling. At those frequencies, it's able to beat an AMD FX-62 (which costs around 7-8X more) at almost everything.

The E6300 is an OK processor, but say you would buy a 8800 GTS or GTX. That processor will bottleneck it but the AMD 62FX will not. In game a E6300 does not beat a FX 62. Only a E6600 does.

lehsstudent said:
i realy have no clue.
3.4 ghz
dual core
+2000mhz fsb
64 bit
2megs cache

LoL I think some of you misinterpreted. lehsstudent is looking for a CPU + Mobo around $200, not an entire PC, heh.

The expectations you listed for a CPU you want are non-existant at the moment.

A dual core 3.4GHz processor would cost too much (the only one is the Pentium D 950 @ 3.4GHz stock speed), and would not be a Core 2 Duo, which is just about the only CPU recommended at this time. Get a dual core CPU and don't worry about the speed of it that much, something just over 2.0GHz would still be amazing. Clock speed is hardly the most important variable anymore for CPUs, especially since the takeover of dual-cores.

At the moment, most of everyone would totally recommend a Core 2 Duo, which recently completely took over AMD in the field of Gaming CPUs. Taking that into consideration, Core 2 Duos do not have 2000MHz FSB, they have mostly 1066MHz FSB (at the moment).

However, your expectations of 2MB of (L2) cache can easily be satisfied, since Core 2 Duos have at least that much.

I sincerely hope that you can stretch your budget a bit more. A Conroe E6300 costs about $180 on newegg, leaving $20 for your motherboard...

If you want to get a CPU and decent motherboard that fits $200, then you'd have to go for something in the Pentium D 800's series (which costs about $100) and then get a basic $100 motherboard. If that is done, then not only will you not have a Core 2 Duo, but the CPU won't meet your listed expectations at all.

It's your call, what do you want to do?

Hope I helped. :)

NFSFAN said:
The E6300 is an OK processor, but say you would buy a 8800 GTS or GTX. That processor will bottleneck it but the AMD 62FX will not. In game a E6300 does not beat a FX 62. Only a E6600 does.
Umm.... No.

A E6300 (180$) can be OCed to 3.3GHz on air, beating the crap out of any FX-62 (1000$). Heck, you don't even need 3GHZ, I'm sure something along a mild 700MHz will do fine.

Lol, AMD's cant overclock worth crap, probably like 600Mhz max for an AMD, and some prescotts are hitting 7Ghz, Core 2 Extremes are hitting 5Ghz.

F1N3ST said:
Lol, AMD's cant overclock worth crap, probably like 600Mhz max for an AMD, and some prescotts are hitting 7Ghz, Core 2 Extremes are hitting 5Ghz.
Umm, no, either.

An X2 3800+ has been OCed from stock 2000MHz to 3700MHz.
An FX-57 has been OCed to 4700MHz (forgot the stock).

Sure, no average user will hit a 1700MHz OC ;), but I have overclocked about 800-900MHz on my X2 3800+. That's not exactly "very little" nor "600MHz max".

Just search OC records for AMD chips, or something along the same lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back