Faster download speeds - is there a way to increse them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

Hi...

I was wondering whilst looking at my download speed whilst downloading a show, that my fastest download speed was nothing compared to that of my actually connection. i was downloading at 56kbps max, when i have a connectiong speed of 576k!! so from this i have 3 questions ;

Where does all the other "speed" go or how is it used?
Can i make the speed faster to download
and if so how!

thanks for your help, Toddy89

I'm on satellite bband at the moment with a dl speed of 756kbps. You'll never download at the speed told (e.g I'll never dl at 756kb, although I wish I could :rolleyes: ) However you can speed the downloads up by using programs such as getright or Download Accelarator Program. I download at around 70kbps when using basic Windows Downloader but when downloading with getright it's usually around 90-110kb. These programs also allow you to resume downloads rather than having to start all over again if the download is stopped.

thanks, kev

but ive heard that download accelerators can really screw up your pc - have you had any difficulties because of them? also, can you give me a link to get one if not? thanks very much, toddy89

Under NO circumstance should you install DAP, it's riddled with adware.
The same goes for the FREE version of Getright.

Better, faster, smaller and free of any ad/spyware and FREE as well:
www.stardownloader.com
Get their free version 1.44

Yeah some of the free ones give you spyware (although their manufacturers insist that they don't :rolleyes: ). DAP for instance is quite suspicous although i can'e be sure, I use Getright .

realblackstuff said:
Under NO circumstance should you install DAP, it's riddled with adware.
The same goes for the FREE version of Getright.

Better, faster, smaller and free of any ad/spyware and FREE as well:
www.stardownloader.com
Get their free version 1.44

Crap does it? I've never had any problems, but just in case I'll switch to stardownloader. Can it be integrated with mozilla?

okay thanks guys ill watch out and ill get star downloader thanks so much for all you guys's help! toddy89

What's that download speed? Are you talking about your download rates or the actual download bandwidth?

i think im talking about rates - im not particularily computer fluent ;).... but im talking bout what may pop up after selecting "download" for a trailer or something..... also with thngs such as limewire.... thanks toddy89

To answer your question as far as where does it all go, or why cant i download at faster speeds..

Your download speed is contingent upon where you are downloading from, if the download is coming from a user on limewire that has a standard dsl/cable connection their max upload is gonna be somewhere around 128/256k...

so if someone with standard dsl/cable is uploading to more than 1 person their bandwidth stream is cut in half or cut even more depending on how many are downloading from that user, and what they have their up/down configured at in that specific P2P client...

if you are dl'ing from a website, the same applies there as well, although most have much higher bandwidth limits than standard cable/dsl. you also have to look at your location "geographically" from the sites actual hardware, many things really come into play... the best you could possibly do is like others have suggested use a dl accelerator, or manually change the MTU/RCVWIN settings and a couple other network acceleration tweaks manually in your systems registry.

toddy89 said:
i think im talking about rates - im not particularily computer fluent ;).... but im talking bout what may pop up after selecting "download" for a trailer or something..... also with thngs such as limewire.... thanks toddy89
In this case I take a guess and say that you can expect 1/8 of that value as peak download speed...that's because what you are refering to is the bandwidth which is measured in kbit as opposed to download rates which are measured in kbyte. As you might know there are 8 bits in a byte so you just have to divide by 8 to get your max rates possible.
I'm not familiar with all the possible bandwidth types available, but if 576 like you say is true, that would be approx. 70 kb/s maximal download rates and 50+ is quite normal.

BRILLIANT! thanks everyone specially urbandragon thats really what i was looking for and kev32 your all a great help! toddy89

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back